Some How-To Questions For CentOS 5.1

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by pcburner, Jan 24, 2008.

1. pcburner

pcburner New Member

I followed the How-To on CentOS 5.1 Server Setup: LAMP, Email, DNS, FTP, ISPConfig (a.k.a. The Perfect Server). But I have some questions- this is what I would like to be able to do with this server. First my primary objective is to create a Jinzora server out of it. But then what I would like to have it is this- when a new person registers on the server I would like the server to send me and the new user an email containing the users credentials, username and password specifically. I have used Jinzora before and I am familiar with the installation and such but I am not sure how to set it up to send email. I do know that uses sendmail but I am not sure how to configure it to send emails via through my ISP or through my web hosting company using pop3 and smtp. Please explicit in your instructions and thank you in advance.

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

3. pcburner

pcburner New Member

More Questions Still

ok, now this is going to sound redundant but once I have Postfix configured then how do I get the emails sent to both the administrator and registrant? I read the Postfix Configuration How-to for relaying via an ISP but then once a new person registers on the server how do I get Postfix to read the database to send the emails? Another question real quick also, for some reason I am unable to connect to my server via FTP over my LAN, I checked the network settings and all are correct, I was able to connect earlier today. I am able to ping it, to traceroutes, ping the gateway, and other nodes. But I can't Putty into it or FTP into now for some reason or another. Not sure why. What do you suggest? Thanks once again.

4. pcburner

pcburner New Member

Here's what I did

After some frustration I decided to heck with it bit the bullet so to speak and re-installed the OS and installed an upgraded NIC and configured only that particular NIC and left the integrated NIC alone hoping that will solve my problem of not being able to Putty and FTP to the server.

But my Postfix questions still remain. I understand the Postfix how to but I am not sure how to get Postfix to send emails according to new users by reading the MySQL database.

5. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

That has to be done by Jinzora (don't know if Jinzora can do this...) or some script that you write. It must read the database and then invoke Postfix.