Some questions after heavy testing

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by spr, Oct 1, 2009.

1. spr

spr New Member

Hi

For testing reasons I've set up 3 Virtual Boxes running Ubuntu-Server an prepared them with the necessary steps out of http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-server-ubuntu-9.04-ispconfig-3

Box 1:
    - MySQL Server
    - ISPConfig Interface

Box 2:
    - Mailserver

Box 3:
    - Apache (for the hosting)

Everything works fine for now!
    But a few questions are still bugging me...

Why do I need a MySQL-Server running on every Box?
    The Installation (only) creates an "ISPConfig DB" there and inputs just the server running on!
    Also it moves the interface to /var/www even if I choose not to do !!
    If I choose to join an existing setup for Box2 and 3 it creates the Servers in the DB on Box1 and in the DB on themselves... Why that???

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

There are several reasons:

1) Redundancy
    2) Faster
    3) To be able to process higher loads.

Correct. All records for this server will be replicated from the master database if you add them in ispconfig on the master DB.

The interface is never in /var/www, it is always in /usr/local/ispconfig/interface. You mix up symlinks with the interface location.

Answer see your first question.

3. spr

spr New Member

Hi till,

your fast in answering my questions ;)

1.) That means that every change in the iface will be saved to the DB on Box1 an gets replicated to the DB on Box* imediatly !? Or just in the other direction!?

2.) You're right, it's "just" a symlink. But why does the install place it if I choose not to have the Iface on that Box !?

3.) Ok, but that also creates higher load because of everytime something gets changed a replication has to be done. What happens if the MySQL-Server on Box* is down?

Big thanks to you till.
    Obviously you're loving your project and take care of it's users and future!
    That's another big reason for using ISPConfig...

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

1) Every change that you do trough the ispconfig interface on the master server gets replicated to the slave. Technically, the slave is querying the master once a minut if there are pending changes to be replicated.

2) The ispconfig sources are always installed completely, but the interface is not activated.

3) Changes cause only minimal loads as only the changed record gets updated and the system is completely fault tolerant. Or how often a day do you change the settings of your mail account (I change mine typically every few moths if not just once a year) if you compare it with how many times the mail table has to be accessed when a mail is received. Thats why it uses exactly this architecture and not a central DB! You can power down the master db or power down the slave db, it does not matter. As soon as both db's are online again, the slave will get synched. You can even power down the slave for weeks and nothing get lost.