Some Questions After Reading The Manuals

Discussion in 'General' started by The Savage Killer, Jan 5, 2007.

1. The Savage Killer

The Savage Killer New Member

Hi There, Im Just Done Reading The Manual And..Im Very Unclear On Some Things.

1st) Proftpd
    I Dont Know How To Access My FTP Server, I Dont Know How To Create Users. :eek:

2nd) Domain Names/DNS/Nameservers
    I Dont Know Anything :eek: I Create My Own Domain But I Dont Have The Slightest Idea How.

3rd) Email
    How Do I Access The Email Accounts? Do I Need The 3rd Party Applications?

After Completing The The Perfect Ubuntu 6.10 Server Steps, I Have Nowhere To Go :confused:

Thanks In Advance. :)

2. vogelor

vogelor ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

the url is the domain of your Web you create. U create the user at the user/mail tab of your Web

You have to register / buy the domain from internic, denic or somewhere else who can register a domain

the url of the mail-server is the url of the web u create. If you like, you can add a subdomain mail.yourdomain.tld

sorry, i don't want to be impolite, but i think linux and ISPConfig isn't for you. If you don't know anything about linux and anything about webhosting you are lost in confusion :confused:

3. The Savage Killer

i know its the url/ip...i just dont know how to make a user account

i know that but what your saying means that im just an email relay server, i mean i wanto access email read/compose interface "webmail", does any similar interface come with ispconfig?

and the whole domain thing i foundout :p

Last edited: Jan 5, 2007
  4. vogelor

Every web has the tab User & Email (after (BASIS)). click at the tab and then click at User [new] and then add one ;-)

Have a look at http://www.ispconfig.org/downloads.htm and install one of these.

5. The Savage Killer

Im gonna skip ISPConfig

i installed LAMP and Webmin and everything is ok now...except for the domain :D

thanks for all the help.

6. vogelor

Good luck!

Bye and good luck with Webmin!

7. sjau

sjau Local Meanie Moderator

I think this isn't an appropriate comment. You have to see it from his eyes... it's maybe his first steps with linux and yes, linux has become a lot easier to use in the last couple of years, but for someone who hasn't has any dealings yet it's still very strange...
    At least he is willing to learn and this forum here is to provide support where you can... Don't take me wrong, I appreciate that you have helped as far as you could but that comment just wasn't necessary... he may not have a clue yet what he's doing (hell, sometimes I have not either...) but he is willing to learn something new.

8. vogelor

sorry again

sorry but i can only say it again. i don't want to be impolite!.

what i meant is: if anybody is starting to learn Linux and webhosting and anything about mail-server, ftp-server and... and is then starting with linux / ISPConfig and then wants to do anything in one step this is VERY confusing.

in that case, there are many other programs better than the combination of ISPConfig and linux.

and as you can see, he switched to linux and webmin and this is better for him.

maybe my error was, that i wrote:

linux and ISPConfig isn't for you

what i meant was:

linux in combination with ISPConfig isn't for you.

i didn't want to say: linux isn't for you.

sorry for that mistake. english was not my mother-language (and will never be ;-)

P.S. i thought it was good, that he is willing to learn linux. that's the reason why i helped him. to do all together for your own is in deep very confusing!

9. PermaNoob

PermaNoob Member

I like to remember Will Rogers' words:

"We're all ignorant, just about different things."

Anyway, I've been at computers for a while, but it just seems the more I learn, the more I find out that I don't know.

Now I'm trying to get into linux and ISPconfig, so there's all that much more to learn--yep, I'm a permanent noob, lol.

10. sjau

sjau Local Meanie Moderator

If you encounter problems, just come here and ask :)

11. The Savage Killer

LAMP & Webmin were exactly what i needed, ISPConfig isnt what i thought i needed.
    and just to make a point the whole FTP accounts thing was to make a new user in linux with the FTP dir as his home and give him a "/bin/false" shell.
    so umm yeah just saying.
    also pointing out that linux is just more typing thats all. :)