Something weird just happened....

Discussion in 'General' started by champs, Apr 24, 2009.

1. champs

champs New Member

G'day

Followed Falko's Perfect Debian Lenny with ISPConfig3. Had the issue with the ISPConfig install, changed it to version 501 and all went well....

Started to play with content in the first site, installed e107 and all went well.
    Then thought I would load it up with other packages I want to test so I installed phpBB3 and Gallery2. That's when something went wrong.

The gallery installed but produced a blank page when first logging in. Now I am not authorized to see anything but ISPConfig Panel.

Even into the server in terminal, I can't get beyond /var/www
    If I do the ls command, I can see the directory www.mydomain.com but when I cd www.mydomain.com I get no such file or directory

Then when I attempt to FTP in, it displays the content of the directories, but displays the tar.gz files that I know that I unpacked and removed.

I am totally lost.... Help Please

2. champs

champs New Member

Anyone...... Please......

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Looks like you deleted something as you installed the package. You can try to update ispconfig, maybe this brings back the parts that had been deleted. If not you might have to fully reinstall ispconfig.

4. Snowman

Snowman Member

debian

hello its because debian released 5.0.1 as stable bugfix version. change /etc/issue from 5.0.1 to 5.0 and it will be fine :).

5. champs

champs New Member

I just did a search and it appears that the Gallery install has added a heap of directories during the install, and likety changed the Apache config to point at a different location. Can anyone tell me where the conf file is that tells apache where to look for web pages?

Yep, I fixed that as part of the initial install, that all worked fine, but the install of Gallery has changed something

6. champs

champs New Member

Ok.. It appears that a Gallery Install (just using the defaults for each step) will delete your entire site and turn it into a symbolic link to it's default install location /var/www/clients/client1/web/web1.... It wouldn't let me cd into it cause it was no longer a directory.....

Time to start again I guess..... Thanks to Till and Snowman

7. Snowman

Snowman Member

:)

yep, maybe recreation of site will help you do solve problem, as i know ispconfig 2 doesnt allow symlinks in /var/www/www.site.com/web web directory by default setup, i expect that it will be the same in ispconfig3. i recently installed joomla and in .htaccess file there was # Options +FollowSymLinks , i should comment that before starting to use joomla.

8. champs

champs New Member

My sites-enabled has been changed to /var/www/clients/client1/webs/web1/

Could someone post what the sites-enabled should look like so I can change it back....

9. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

What do you mean with sites-enabled?

10. champs

champs New Member

Hey Falko.... Love your work buddy..... Whenever I want to do something, I always check to see if you have done a tutorial first before looking elsewhere....

Back to the problem, the Gallery install has overwriten my /etc/apache2/sites-enabled and sites-available to point web traffic to /var/www/clients/client1/webs/web1/

While I asume it to be easy as changing this back to /var/www/www.mydomain.com/web/ I would like to see someone elses so I don't further mess things up.

11. falko

Did it overwrite or delete the directories, or files within the directories? :confused:

12. champs

champs New Member

As far as I can tell, it overwrote the sites-enabled and sites available to point at a new directory..... but it did delete the entire /var/www/www.mydomain.com and it's contents, and then made a symbolic link by the same name which also points to /var/www/clients/client1/web/web1

I am considering deleting the contents of /var/www and then re-installing ISPConfig.

13. falko

Can you post the outputs of
    Code:
    ls -la /etc/apache2/
    and
    Code:
    ls -la /var/www/
    ?

14. champs

champs New Member

Couldn't cut and paste sorry

Attached Files:

15. champs

champs New Member

Bump...........

16. falko

It's looking ok to me. What exactly is the problem?

17. champs

champs New Member

Everything stopped working.....

The entire contents of /var/www/www.mydomain.com/web/ was deleted and the directory was changed to a sym link

Is the site supposed to be in /var/www/clients/client1/web3 ?

18. falko

Yes. Do you see the contents of your site in that directory?

19. champs

champs New Member

No... The location is empty....

I built up the site in /var/www/www.mydomain.com/web/

It all worked but gallery seems to have deleted everything... confused... reinstall and start again

20. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Yes, you should do e reinstall of your system. by the way, do not use debian packages to install systems like gallery 2 or cms systems on your server as the debian packages are not made for hosting servers with multiple websites. Instaed you should install the tar.gz versions of the scripts into the website directories.