Sorting DNS issues for best chance of non-flagged mail

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by schwim, Mar 28, 2023.

1. schwim

schwim Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hello there, everyone!

I'm a layman trying my best to understand what I'm reading when it comes to this, so please go easy. I have managed to resolve my ERRORs and am now left with just a few warnings that I can't figure out how to resolve.

My server is hosted at: 74.91.124.242
    FQDN: system.schwimserver.com
    I host the domain at 101domain.com and use their nameservers to provide A records pointing to my server.
    upload_2023-3-28_0-16-48.png
    upload_2023-3-28_0-25-20.png

dns schwimserver.com Local NS list does not match Parent NS list
    dns schwimserver.com Name Servers are on the Same Subnet
    dns schwimserver.com SOA Expire Value out of recommended range

Can someone tell me if these can be resolved with my hosting setup and if so, how I would go about it?

Thanks for your time!

2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

The nameservers defined in the zone are not the same as registered for the domain. Determine which is correct, then set the other to same values.
    Ignore this, unless you have another location where you can run the second name server.
    Set the TTL to recommended value, I do not remember what it is but wikipedia probably knows.

3. schwim

Thanks for the help!
    I've not defined any nameservers in my ISPConfig install. Is that what I need to do to resolve this issue?
    upload_2023-3-28_12-59-2.png

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You said you are using the DNS servers of your provider, in that case, do not add a zone for this domain in ISPConfig.

5. schwim

Then is this a warning that I cannot resolve in the way that the domain pointing is handled

6. nhybgtvfr

nhybgtvfr Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

the ns servers should be ns1.101domain.com and ns2.101.domain.com, they should be set at NS records in your dns zone on 101domain.com. (assuming ns1 and ns2 are the correct nameservers used by 101domain.com)

for the SOA TTL settings.. i use the following, which tests show as within the recommended range..
    Refresh 7200 Seconds
    Retry 540 Seconds
    Expire 1029600 Seconds
    Minimum (negative cache ttl) 86400 Seconds
    TTL 3600 Seconds

the defaults set by 101domain.com's dns servers should already be within the recommended ranges.

7. schwim

when looking at the 101domain panel, it seems the only value I have the ability to change is TTL. It looks like I'm unable to modify anything else.

8. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

As far as I understand it, everything works, you have just a few warnings where an external DNS tester complains about the setup of DNS servers at your hosting provider, right? In that case, just ignore the warnings. You probably can't change it anyways.

9. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

I tested with intodns.com that domain. The reason it complains is parent domain has three name servers, zone defines only two. If you want to get rid of the warning make them match (i.e. add the third name server to zone).
    Where did you get the warnings you wrote about in #1? Did it not tell the reason like https://intodns.com/schwimserver.com

10. schwim