SOS - Well, I am about to give up, thats for sure...

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by danhansen@denmark, Mar 19, 2019.

1. danhansen@denmark

danhansen@denmark Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi,

I've posted 2 other threads, and have been trying for 14 days now to make it work. Is there anyone who has this problem too or maybe can tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Tutorial: https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial...pureftpd-bind-postfix-doveot-and-ispconfig/2/
    OS: Ubuntu Server Minimal install per HowToForge tutorial.

Clean Installation 22 times....

We thought, in my last post, that it was because I answered "yes" to get the testdatabases deleted. It wasn't. Here's the images which shows this..
    The problem is at point 8 in the installation, running this command:

phpMyAdmin, FCGI, SuExec, Pear, and mcrypt
    Apache 2.4, PHP 7.2, phpMyAdmin, FCGI, suExec, and Pear can be installed as follows:

apt-get -y install apache2 apache2-doc apache2-utils libapache2-mod-php php7.2 php7.2-common php7.2-gd php7.2-mysql php7.2-imap phpmyadmin php7.2-cli php7.2-cgi libapache2-mod-fcgid apache2-suexec-pristine php-pear mcrypt imagemagick libruby libapache2-mod-python php7.2-curl php7.2-intl php7.2-pspell php7.2-recode php7.2-sqlite3 php7.2-tidy php7.2-xmlrpc php7.2-xsl memcached php-memcache php-imagick php-gettext php7.2-zip php7.2-mbstring php-soap php7.2-soap

Here's the screen showing the issue. Same issue 22 times no matter what. I followed the tutorial to the letter. What's not written in the tutorial, I got from in here:

[​IMG]

And it's appearing when you JUST HIT ENTER here:

Web server to reconfigure automatically: <-- apache2
    Configure database for phpmyadmin with dbconfig-common? <-- Yes
    MySQL application password for phpmyadmin: <-- Press enter

Here's a copy of the mariadb installation screen:
    [​IMG]

Maybe it hasn't to do with the DB at all, I don't know. It was one of the only places in the turorial which wasn't documented. Therefore I belived it to be... Brighter heads than I must take over here

I'm really hoping for some help here ....

KR
    Dan

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  2. This is an unqualified answer, maybe it helps you a bit:
    I had the same problem several times. I somehow solved it with recheck/-doing the steps 6 (MariaDB installation) and 8. I had simply confused the passwords required/set.

till likes this.
  3. danhansen@denmark

passwords required/set.

Hello my friend... Please explain.. You are told to HIT ENTER, not enter any data. I confirmed this with Talaman at several occasions... ??

4. But on step 6, you are supposed to set a root password, as you display in your mariadb setup screenshot (the black one).
    And then you are supposed to put said pwd in the "/etc/mysql/debian.cnf" and restart mysql.

Because the PMA (PHPmyAdmin) setup does not require you to enter your mysql (=MariaDB) root password, it uses the one in the file. As far as I know.

till and Croydon like this.
  5. danhansen@denmark

Hi again,

At step 6 I did set a password and reentered it, just as the tutorial says...

6. Croydon

Croydon ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

But obviously you did not set it in /etc/mysql/debian.cnf

7. danhansen@denmark

Hi Croydon,

To edit the file manually and set a password there?? I'll have to abort the installation which I'm in, image1 at the top of my post.

Here's the content of that file. The password was set 2 times as per the turorial:

# Automatically generated for Debian scripts. DO NOT TOUCH!
    [client]
    host = localhost
    user = root
    password = howtoforge
    socket = /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock
    [mysql_upgrade]
    host = localhost
    user = root
    password = howtoforge
    socket = /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock
    basedir = /usr

8. Croydon

Really? You entered "howtoforge" as password there? So you never read the corresponding tutorial step, did you …?

And no, you don't have to abort, just open a second terminal, fix the file and select retry.

9. Croydon

And NO not A password, but YOUR password that you chose before when using mysql_secure_installation of course.

niemand-glaumy likes this.
  10. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Here again, what does the tutorial tells you to do in step 6:

1) It tells you to run 'mysql_secure_installation' to set a new MySQL root password.
    2) Then it tells you to edit the file /etc/mysql/debian.cnf and set your new MySQL root password there as well as this file is used by Debian packages like phpMyAdmin to automatically configure the database during installation.

So when you do not set the same MySQL password in /etc/mysql/debian.cnf that you had set in MySQL, then phpMyAdmin installation must fail.

But this has been explained by @niemand-glaumy and @Croydon already in this thread.

11. danhansen@denmark

well OK guys... Thanks,

Maybe then it will work... I did abort for the 22 time, so its all over again.. but never mind, as long as it's not going to be a 24...

I just did and wrote what was written... And yes, croydon, I wrote howtoforge. When you don't understand the programming that you do, and are told to follwow it to the letter... I can see its pretty funny now, but it hasn't been very funny these 22 installations...

Thanks for the help

12. danhansen@denmark

Hi Till,

Thanks mate ;)

KR
    Dan

13. danhansen@denmark

How do you test it, to see if it works now?

I ran the command at step 8 again and was given only this:

Configure database for phpmyadmin with dbconfig-common? <-- Yes

Not this:
    MySQL application password for phpmyadmin: <-- Press enter

14. till

I've added an additional note to the tutorial that the example password needs to be replaced with your own password.

15. till

This is ok and can be related to a different base system that you used to install the server on. And I tested this by using the steps from the tutorial, the same that a few hundred users do every day with that guide.

16. danhansen@denmark

Thanks everybody....

I've continued with the installation and test if it works when I'm done. If not, I'll just start over... ;)

17. Croydon

I have to be honest at this point: You should NOT follow ANY tutorial if you don't understand what the steps do at least. That is really one of the causes for the lots of hacked servers out there. I understand that everyone somewhen starts to learn, but then it should be the basics first. You'd never build a house from scratch by yourself if you just have a "letter by letter" tutorial and don't know anything about it. You start by learning the basics.
    So I don't mean to be odd. But it really is a big problem not only for the ones that have a malicious (badly set up or configured) server. It is also for those affected by spam bombs and hacking attempts originating from that sources.

18. danhansen@denmark

Hi Croydon,

You are quite right... And I don't. I'm a newbie regarding ISPconfig installation, but no where near a newbie in security issues... First thing I do in a network, is to give the old admin account the same rights as my mother in the business network.. ;) Make a new account with admin rights etc. Everything has been SHH hardened and our CISCO routers with hardware firewalls can only be accessed at the RACK...
    And please don't take my questions the wrong way, I'm so happy for all the helped I got.. We solved the issue, didn't we. And had a little laugh on my expense maybe, thats all right ;)

19. danhansen@denmark

Well, it seems like its running even though I didn't started from scratch.. Nevertheless, I'm doing it all over again just to be sure.

BTW.. I've never used automated updates on Linux... Allways did it manually.. Any thought about that guys???

KR
    Dan

20. till

That's fine. Just don't forget to update regularly :)