[SPAMASSASSIN] check if it works fine

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by lino, Aug 19, 2011.

1. lino

lino New Member

Hi,
    I'm using ispconfig since 10 monthes with great satisfation but today I noticed something strange about spamassassin

The user of a mail account in my server said he received too spam on the account so I checked the configuration and spamfilter is active with Non-paying policy (Non-paying policy configuration hasn't been modified after ispconfig installation).

Effectively if i try spamassassin with

spamassassin < mail_received_file

the output signals spam inside the mail with 6 score but in mail log and in the mail received there aren't X-Spam head despite the presence of amavis call in the Recived header.

I tried to update spamassassin with the statement

sa-update --destdir /etc/spamassassin and restarting the service

Could someone suggest me something useful to test spamassassin work?

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Any errors in your mail log?

Also, I suggest you restart amavisd and take a look at its startup output in the mail log file.

3. lino

lino New Member

Thank you for reply...

I tried to restart amavis service and I didn't notice errors. No line was written in mail.err and no error messa apeared in mail.log and mail.info.

In particular, I saw these line in the log files:

Aug 20 14:39:18 mycompany-vm01 amavis[22730]: ANTI-SPAM code loaded
    Aug 20 14:39:18 mycompany-vm01 amavis[22730]: ANTI-SPAM-EXT code NOT loaded
    Aug 20 14:39:18 mycompany-vm01 amavis[22730]: ANTI-SPAM-C code NOT loaded
    Aug 20 14:39:18 mycompany-vm01 amavis[22730]: ANTI-SPAM-SA code loaded

So antispam seem to start correctly but the not-loading of some modules. I thought perhapss they were extensions for amavis.

If you want I can post the entire output of the restarting of amavis.

Question: when an amavis record in mail.log shows Hits: - without a score, what does it mean? does it signal a malfunction in amavis?

Generally, I saw a score showed in that place of te logs....

Another question: recently the server was phisically moved from a data center to another and it caused the change of the IP address of the virtual machine but everything seemd to go fine...
    However a customer begun to signal spam problems since that period. could exist a connection between these events ??

Thanks in advance