spamassassin needs updating

Discussion in 'General' started by crypted, Aug 23, 2010.

1. crypted

crypted Member

How can I get the latest spam databases from URIBL's system?

Apparently, Spam Assassin (Debian Lenny) with ISPCONFIG is extremely out of date.

I'm getting tons of spam on a daily basis not being caught by Spam Assassin while those domains are listed as spam domains for some weeks.

-- EDIT --
    I just saw http://www.faqforge.com/linux/keep-the-spamassassin-filter-rules-up-to-date-in-ispconfig-3/. Now, does the sa-update have daily updates to download? And, does ISPCONFIG obtain them at some point with its own crontabs at some point? Not necessarily daily?

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Spamassassin has regular updates, but not nescessarily daily. ISPConfig is not updateing spamassassin, so if you want to install the updates automatically, you might have to create a cronjob.

3. crypted

crypted Member

And I did that. However, the SA databases don't seem to contain any of the latest 4000+ spam domains.

How would I configure SA to also use URIBL's robust database?
    They describe how to on basic SA installations, but this doesn't match the setup used for ISPCONFIG (Perfect Setup) systems.
    http://www.uribl.com/usage.shtml

Using Debian Lenny.

4. Mark_NL

Mark_NL Member

You can just add the code snippet on the uribl.com website to the bottom of the following file:

/etc/spamassassin/local.cf

restart SA and amavis and you're good to go

5. crypted

crypted Member

would you suggest using a higher score than 3.0? and, if people complain, how would i add this to individual users only?

6. till

I use currently a score of 3.501 for markin spam in the subject and a score of 10 to delete it. I filter spam mails in my mail cliebt to a separate folder and configured this folder to delete emails automatically after 30 days.

You may create as many spamfilter policys as you need and you can assign these policys on a per domain an per mailbox basis.

7. crypted

crypted Member

I would like to do that till. But, how would I include the URIBL into custom rules?

8. till

There is no need to add the URIBL in the policy, it is added in /etc/spamassassin/local.cf as mark pointed out. Only the score is set individually in the policys.

9. crypted

crypted Member

Ah, so once I put it in the local.cf, ISPCONFIG will strip the "score" flag from the local.cf code and implement custom scores set in ISPCONFIG's policies?

10. till

No. The sore is a numeric value which indicates if a email is spam or not. if you want that the filter is stricter for some users, set a lower score in their policys.

11. crypted

crypted Member

I understand that. But you said that the scores are set in the policies.

My question is, since I put that code for URIBL in local.cf and it contains a "score 3.0" already, does that get altered by ISPCONFIG for individual policies?

I.E.: Policy #5 has spam filtered at 5.0, would that change the 3.0 to a 5.0 for URIBL black lists for Policy #5 users?

Or, will every mail user now be under 3.0 for URIBL?

12. till

Thats the case. The scores are set in the policy and then you assign the policy to a specific user. What you mix up here is the score of the policy / user with the score for a spamassassin rule.

13. crypted

crypted Member