SpamSnake proxy for Scalix

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by digizone, Jul 22, 2008.

1. digizone

digizone New Member

I am new to mail servers. I am setting this up as a learning project.

if anyone is able to assist I would appreciate it very much. Hopefully others reading may learn also.

I've managed to set up scalix and get it all working, it's not being used in a production environment at present. Just a home learning enviroment. I would like to add extra security and Rocky's spamsnake seems to have a very good collection of spam and virus tools.

It's taking me ages to get through the how to. I am finding it to be an excellent howto just a little time consuming as I am trying my best to understand it all as I am progressing through it.

I am currently up to section 9.24

Mail scanner web page is up and everything is working and updating correctly in the tool/links section.

I have not got mail going through it yet so I can't see any mail items listed on the page yet. I am very keen to test it all.

I am getting close to the end where I hope to add the spamsnake proxy infront of scalix however I am not sure how to do this.

On the incoming direction;

I know that I will need to forward port 25 from my router to the spamsnake proxy's IP address, but I am not sure where to go from here.

I am guessing that I will need to send the mail on from the spamsnake to scalix on another port as I expect scalix would usually be listening on 25.

How is this achieved?

On the outgoing direction I am not sure what to do. At present mail seems be be leaving scalix ok, I can receive it in a gmail mail act ok. I feel that a more correct set up would be for scalix to be redirected out the spamsnake proxy.

Thanks again if anyone is able to assist or point me in the right direction.

2. Rocky

Rocky Member

Hey,

Glad to hear that you're attempting to use the SpamSnake. You have to make sure that you have the proper DNS entries (MX) setup for your configuration pointing to the SpamSnake. After that, mails should hit the SpamSnake and should be accepted.

In your transport table, list your MTA's IP address, following the instructions. Emails should start going to your scalix box from the spamsnake. You might have to setup your scalix system to allow your SpamSnake to send emails to it.

For outgoing emails, add your scalix system IP address in /etc/postfix/main.cf under mynetworks. Setup your scalix system to use the SpamSnake as a smarthost and you should be all set.

Rocky