Split Mailbox storage and Mail Gateway in ISPCONFIG?

Discussion in 'General' started by hadizeid, Jan 17, 2021.

1. hadizeid

hadizeid Member

So hi everyone...
    As the title says..
    is it possible to Split Mailbox storage and Mail Gateway in ISPCONFIG?

2. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

So you want a separate SMTP and IMAP/POP3 server? Yes, this is possible.

3. hadizeid

hadizeid Member

well i was meaning something like this:
    upload_2021-1-18_0-54-8.png

so that in future or expansion you can add extra mailbox servers and connect them to the same inbound and outbound servers, or even having multi inbound and outbound servers to load balance and redundancy to single or mutli mailbox storages.

hope that i was able to deliver the idea clrearly

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Use a central network storage and mount it as /var/vmail directory on all mail nodes.

5. hadizeid

hadizeid Member

@Th0m i guess you are right, in other words need to have separate dovecot and postfix servers. Now is it possible to have a single dovecot server connected to multi postfix servers?

@till wouldn't that make the setup risky with having a single point of failure which the central storage?

6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

A central storage can be fault-tolerant by using a fileserver cluster.

hadizeid likes this.
  7. Th0m

It is possible to spread the services over different servers but you should only do this if you know what you're doing.

8. hadizeid

hadizeid Member

Thanks @Th0m , I would like to learn, as it would possibly help eliminate separate MTA in the future. Do you have a suggestion from where should i start. turtorial or an documentation?
    by the way all of this started because of your post ;)

9. Th0m

Personally I have 2 servers with dovecot + postfix that run both SMTP and IMAP/POP3, which will be set up as a HA cluster soon. Depending on how many users you expect, different setups can be done. Not sure if there is any guide for this right now, but I want to write a guide on how to set up a clustered setup like I have now soon.
    :)