splitting one ispconfig server in two

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by harkman, Jul 7, 2017.

1. harkman

harkman Member

Hello.
    I want to divide my services from one old server to two new servers. One for websites and one for email.
    Can you give me some advice how to properly migrate the data from the old server to the two new servers.
    Ispconfig is the latest release on the old server. DNS entries are managed externally
    I was thinking about a procedure like this:
    • basic setup on both servers
    • then copy ispconfig database to both new servers.
    • copy mail over to the mail server
    • copy websites over to the web server
    • then configure ispconfig as master on the web server, disable the mail service, add the second server as mail server
    • rebuild configurations
    What do you think? Any problem with this, any advice how to do it better?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

This should work in general, but one important step is missing. Most database tables have a server_id column. This server_id tells the system if something is configured on server 1, 2 3 etc. So when you split your system, you will have to update the server_id's of the corresponding tables to match the new location. e.g. if web server stays server1 and mail server becomes server 2, then you will have to change the server_id of all records in the mail_* and spamfilter_* database tables from 1 to 2 (on both servers, or change it on the master before you copy over the database dump to server 2).

3. Quaxth

Quaxth Member

Sorry, wron forum/thread!!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  4. Quaxth

Quaxth Member

sorry, wrong thread! pls. delete!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

@Quaxth: I believe you are in the wrong thread here. This Thread is from @harkman about slitting an ISPConfig system.

no

6. harkman

harkman Member

Thanks Till. Will give it a try.