Squirrelmail issue

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by Alex Hulshof, Apr 3, 2015.

1. Alex Hulshof

Alex Hulshof Member

need guidance how to resolve:
    ERROR: Could not complete request.
    Query: SELECT "INBOX" Reason Given: [SERVERBUG]

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Pleasecheck the mail log for the complete error message.

3. Alex Hulshof

Alex Hulshof Member

Apr 3 12:50:20 server1 dovecot: imap-login: Login: user=<administrator>, method=PLAIN, rip=::1, lip=::1, mpid=4712, secured, session=<8gL2ts8SnQAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAB>
    Apr 3 12:50:20 server1 dovecot: imap(administrator): Disconnected: Logged out in=44 out=831
    Apr 3 12:50:20 server1 dovecot: imap-login: Login: user=<administrator>, method=PLAIN, rip=::1, lip=::1, mpid=4714, secured, session=<Zun4ts8SnwAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAB>
    Apr 3 12:50:20 server1 dovecot: imap(administrator): Error: open(/var/mail/administrator) failed: Permission denied (euid=1000(administrator) egid=1000(administrator) missing +w perm: /var/mail, we're not in group 8(mail), dir owned by 0:8 mode=0775)
    Apr 3 12:50:20 server1 dovecot: imap(administrator): Error: Failed to autocreate mailbox INBOX: Internal error occurred. Refer to server log for more information. [2015-04-03 12:50:20]
    Apr 3 12:50:20 server1 dovecot: imap(administrator): Disconnected: Logged out in=261 out=1748
    Apr 3 12:50:20 server1 dovecot: imap-login: Login: user=<administrator>, method=PLAIN, rip=::1, lip=::1, mpid=4716, secured, session=<Eq36ts8SoAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAB>
    Apr 3 12:50:20 server1 dovecot: imap(administrator): Error: open(/var/mail/administrator) failed: Permission denied (euid=1000(administrator) egid=1000(administrator) missing +w perm: /var/mail, we're not in group 8(mail), dir owned by 0:8 mode=0775)
    Apr 3 12:50:20 server1 dovecot: imap(administrator): Error: Failed to autocreate mailbox INBOX: Internal error occurred. Refer to server log for more information. [2015-04-03 12:50:20]
    Apr 3 12:50:20 server1 dovecot: imap(administrator): Connection closed in=21 out=465

4. Alex Hulshof

Alex Hulshof Member

by the way, what advantages has Squirrelmail over thunderbird? Is squirrelmail a must or can I use thunderbird instead?

5. till

You may use any email client. Thinderbird is a desktop applicatuion while squirrelmail is a webmail client that you can use when you dont have access to your desktop.

6. till

Which tutorial didyou use to install that server?

7. Alex Hulshof

Alex Hulshof Member

The Perfect Server - Ubuntu 14.10 with Apache, PHP, MySQL, PureFTPD, BIND, Postfix, Dovecot and ISPConfig

8. till

The log above does not seem to be from a ispconfig server as he usernamex of msil accounts are always the full email address and the paths mentioned in the log are not used by ispconfig. Pleae post the output of the command:

hostname -f

9. Alex Hulshof

Alex Hulshof Member

server1.ahulshof.eu

10. Alex Hulshof

Alex Hulshof Member

Maybe I found the root cause of my problem.
    at step 6:
    6. Install Postfix, Dovecot, MySQL, phpMyAdmin, rkhunter, binutils:
    You will be asked the following questions:

New password for the MySQL "root" user: <-- yourrootsqlpassword :done
    Repeat password for the MySQL "root" user: <-- yourrootsqlpassword :done
    Create a self-signed SSL certificate?: <-- YesHost name: <-- server1.example.com :done
    Local only: <-- OK
    General type of mail configuration: <-- Internet Site
    System mail name: <-- server1.example.com

On the terminal if I select Local Only, i cannot select internet site as general type of mail comfiguration. What should I do here?

11. Alex Hulshof

Alex Hulshof Member

after above I still have the SELECT "INBOX" Reason Given: [SERVERBUG] problem.
    Attached: /var/log/mail.err

Attached Files:

12. Alex Hulshof

Alex Hulshof Member

ok thx. Tried a complete new setup and still have an issue with Squirrelmail. See attachment for content Mail.err and Mail.log

Attached Files:

13. till

The error means that you try t access a system mailbox and not a mailbox from ispconfig. this happens e.g. when you use a wrong hostname e.g. when you use a hostname like example.com and not server1.example.com or when you entered example.com in the postfix confi details instead of server1.example.com. Entering example.com instead of a subdomain in postfix will block all mail for this domain, therefor it is important to use a subdomain there as decsribed in the installation instructions.

what is the outpur