SquirrelMail Plugin for ISPConfig

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Jack-Daniels, Sep 26, 2007.

1. Jack-Daniels

Jack-Daniels New Member

Is there a step-by-step to configuring mail after installing the plugin for all of the virtual sites/users to use mail.

I've seen so many versions, there must be one good way to do this!

If anyone has one, maybe it could be made into a "How To configure SM in ISPConfig"

Regards,

Jack

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

There is no configuration needed. Just install the squirrelmail .pkg file trough the ISPConfig update function and its ready to be used.

3. Jack-Daniels

Jack-Daniels New Member

Till:

I downloaded the plugin from ISPConfig's site to a local machine, connected to my ISPConfig server, went to: [Management] -> [Update Manager|Update] -> Then continued to browse for my downloaded plugin on the local machine and and clicked on install.

After all that, it notifies me that installation was completed.

Now when I send an email out through Squirrel Mail (after setting up an "user & email" for a site ie. [email protected]) using said user to an external email acount, the message received shows "[email protected]"

Now, I couldn't figure this out at first, but found a hint in the forums about the SM config.php file and began to look in there.

Found: $domain = 'example.com';

It is working, but it is attaching the wrong domain to the user. If overide this (with ddsi-ny.com), does this become static and all my users even on other virtual sites/domains be sending out mail with "[email protected]" instead of "user@thier_domain.tld"?

or is there an updated plugin with a fix for this already in it?, or

my installation is messed up and should try and reinstall the plugin.

Please advise, does the domain on the e-mail come from SM's config.php, emailname, or parsed from virtusertable or hostname, or other?

Where should I start?

Another question is, is the "Virtual Users And Domains With Postfix, Courier And MySQL (+ SMTP-AUTH, Quota, SpamAssassin, ClamAV) " tutorial made part or implemented ISPconfig?

Thank you.

4. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Each user must set the correct sender address in his Squirrelmail settings. It's the same as if you were using an email client such as Outlook or Thunderbird - you have to set the sender address there as well.

This tutorial is incompatible with ISPConfig because ISPConfig configures system users, not virtual users.

5. Jack-Daniels

Jack-Daniels New Member

Thank you very much for your patience.

I did see a similar post in the forum but did not understand it relation to my problem with the "example.com" tld at the time.

I think its important to note that the login account/password does not necessarily automatically configure the web client for the user even though the parameters already exists in several places, especially when the user logs on.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.

But I think this forum will get more posts from nubies like me with regard to this type of situation when initially testing the sending and receiving of email from a newly install SM plugin in ISPConfig, since the user logging on would think that [email protected] on authentication worked, email settings must be automatically set. ---> just my observation on what I have just experienced.