SRV records behaving strangely

Discussion in 'General' started by MrM, Oct 14, 2009.

1. MrM

MrM New Member

Hi,

I have created a SRV record with the following values:
    Code:
    Hostname      : _xmpp-server._tcp
    Server Record : 5 0 5269 xmpp-server.l.google.com.
    TTL           : 60
    If I then "dig" this record, I get the following result:

Code:
    $ dig _xmpp-server._tcp.mydomain.tld IN ANY @my.nameserver.tld

[I]-- snip --[/I]

;; ANSWER SECTION:
    _xmpp-server._tcp.mydomain.tld. 86400 IN	SRV	0 5 0 5269\032xmpp-server.l.google.com.
    The TTL seems to have been ignored, and also the record itself has changed. Is this normal, or is ispconfig messing something up? I have no experience with SRV records, this is the first time I'm setting one up.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Look in the mysql database. If the server record is stored there as you entered it in ispconfig, then it is not related to ispconfig.

3. MrM

MrM New Member

In the dns_rr table, the record appears fine.

So, is this a problem, what dig displays, or will the record work as intended? I don't know how else to test it, except with dig.

4. MrM

MrM New Member

I think I've figured out what the problem is.

I've been tempering with the database record, and found out that dig gives the correct response if I change the data field to "5 0 5269 xmpp-server.l.google.com." (without the quotes) and the aux field to 5. When I do this, I get
    Code:
    ;; ANSWER SECTION:
    _xmpp-server._tcp.mydomain.tld. 86400 IN	SRV	5 0 5269 xmpp-server.l.google.com.
    So it seems, the problem is related to ispconfig after all. Apparently, ispconfig should allow me to set a priority (the aux field) on SRV records, but it does not.