ssh chroot works, but no scp for chroot users

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by zokahn, Jan 27, 2006.

1. zokahn

zokahn New Member

Hi all,

(I was in error scp works, sftp does not. scp only worked for winscp after i changed the permissions for: /usr/bin/groups to -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 19 Jan 27 09:26 groups)

I´ve build my very own ssh chroot setup! Thanks Falko. However i was planning on using it to let users upload there data to my server. This is way is way more secure than the clear txt passwd ftp thingy

However, after building the ssh chroot folowing the howto: Normal users scp fine, chroot users get the error: Server refused to start a shell/command. (Using winscp, scp from other debian systems is ok: after i copied the scp bin to the chroot env)

Regards,

Zokahn

Last edited: Jan 27, 2006
  2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

I guess this means it's working now?

3. zokahn

zokahn New Member

Nope sftp does not work,

But hmm,.. Yes can get files over using WinSCP using a secure protocol. Maybe you know a way to get sftp working for chrooted users. It seems that the ´protocol´ can work but i need to copy the right files in the chroot. I´m talking sftp specific not scp.

I´ll keep on searching... but maybe you know.

Regards,

Zokahn

4. falko

I would have to check that on a test server (which I don't have available right now...).
    But why do you want sftp instead of scp?

5. zokahn

zokahn New Member

I don´t know seems to be a default option in WinSCP. I did not toke the time to see what the difference is. I guess if this is ok it´s ok so don´t bother setting up a testserver.

I must say that this is really something :) I´m verry happy with the howto´s

Thanks,

Zokahn

6. falko

It's ok to use SCP. :) But can you post /etc/ssh/sshd_config (or something like that)? Maybe there's an option in it that allows you to use sftp.