SSH issues.

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by McKay, Dec 27, 2019.

1. McKay

McKay New Member

Hello all, and to start let me go ahead and thank everybody who post!!!

I'm new to ISPconfig and I have everything setup so far, only issue Im having is when I create a new shell user in the ispconfig admin panel, everything works, I can login via SFTP but when I try to login to the ubuntu purple login screen for the physical machine itself it states authentication error and wont login, if I delete the newly created shell user from the ispconfig admin panel ubuntu logs in normally with no errors.

Any suggestions as to what may be creating this, I've googled and don't seem to come across any information other than setting up a shell user.
    System: Ubuntu 18.4
    ISPconfig: 3.1

Thanks you once again!!
    McKay :cool:

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Normally a web hosting system has no Ubuntu GUI installed, usually hosting servers are headless servers in a datacenter and get managed by SSH, so your setup is a bit unusual. Please have a look into the syslog and auth.log of your system to see which exact error gets reported there.

3. till

But you are not trying to use the ISPConfig shell user to login to an Ubuntu GUI, right? Because this can't work.

4. McKay

McKay New Member

Glad to see you on the post, I see you in a lot of post on here.

No I was trying to login using my normal login credentials. as soon as I create the shell user it starts the problem on my ubuntu gui, soon as I delete shell user its back to normal and will login. Creating an FTP user works perfectly with no disruptions to the ubuntu GUI, just the shell user. I did notice that the perfect server tutorial didnt install ssh on the ubuntu machine as I assume it figured you would be ssh-ing into the machine to setup the installation, so I installed ssh with apt-get install openssh-server.

5. till

Take a look at the logs (see post #2) to find out more about your issue. SSH is already present on any Ubuntu server and ISPConfig is meant to be installed on servers and not desktops, that's why the instructions do not mention SSH. If I remember correctly there was an issue with GUI logins that someone had several years ago, was something that shell users on GUI systems needed to be in a special group or something similar and if that's not the case, then GNOME started to fail. Maybe you find it in the forum.

6. McKay

McKay New Member

Ahh I overlooked that one, but technically server and desktop are the same thing so I didn't think it would have an effect. Guess I was wrong lol, Ill have the check and see about finding that old post cause that sounds like it could be what I'm looking for, cant be that far from working right? If anyone knows that link feel free to share, Ill post the link here if I find it, also Ill post my fix if I figure it out as well so others having the same issue can get help.

Thank you for responding so quickly, you're the man!!

till likes this.