SSH logins for clients...?

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by Jonathon Gilbert, Aug 8, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Jonathon Gilbert

Jonathon Gilbert Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi guys,
    im struggling to get my head around this.
    one of my clients wants terminal access so they can setup their website using scripts etc.
    Now i trust these guys so i would just give them my credentials but before i go giving away the keys to the palace...

is there a simple way to setup a user for terminal access without giving them root access?
    and by simple i mean is there a way through ispconfig that gives them access to do this. i have been looking at:

WebDav-user
    Shell User
    Remote user

But honestly i have no idea what im doing and im sure you guys will

2. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Shell user = SSH user :)

Make sure to use Jailkit, that jails the user (limits access to his own files).

Jonathon Gilbert likes this.
  3. Jonathon Gilbert

ok great
    now say i did that and it doesnt accept the credentials. i have installed jailkit

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Do you use the correct username (incl. prefix) and the right password? Ddi you wait until the user was created on disk (until the red dot disappeared in the menu of ISPConfig)?

Jonathon Gilbert likes this.
  5. Jonathon Gilbert

excellent.
    Thank-you both. i was relying on the first user i created to be working. however, i have just noticed that my password manager was changing the username everytime i entered the profile...

Disabled the password manager for the site and created a new user.

Works perfectly.
    As always, totally worth the subscription.

Th0m and till like this.