SSH, users from web1 can read files from web2, web3, web4

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by ecorona, Feb 1, 2006.

1. ecorona

ecorona New Member

I have web1 to web20 and some domains have SSH access, but i've noticed that they can access to /var/www and so they can read files from all websites.

All website have Config.php files and those should be private files (db user and password is there)

Files from other websites have a 744 perm's, if i change to 740 then www-data can't read them and so on apache.

What can i do to dissallow this?

Any solution?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You have to configure your linux to support chrooted SSH. Here is a howto for setting up CHRooted SSH:

http://www.howtoforge.com/chrooted_ssh_howto_debian

3. ecorona

ecorona New Member

is this compatible with the ISPConfig?

My server is already in production mode, hostin 20 websites as I said before.

If I reinstall this new chrooted ssh will be in normal operation?

As i read, to create a new chrooted user is a diferent step from normal.

useradd -s /bin/bash -m -d /home/chroot/./home/testuser -c "testuser" -g users testuser

And they go to a diferent home, so i thing its may possible if we reconfigure ISPconfig user management.

Is this right? some one tryed this before?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2006
  4. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Yes. But keep in mind that the tutorial was written for Debian do if you use another distribution steps might differ a little bit.

Instead of /home/chroot you could use /home/www, /var/www, etc. But it's true, you need manual interaction. You can create the user in ISPconfig, but afterwards you must edit /etc/passwd to put the dot into the path to the user's homedir.