SSL certificate for 2nd site on VPS

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by bobpit, Oct 9, 2014.

1. bobpit

bobpit Member

I have 2 sites on a VPS. The first one is an SSL one. I bought a second SSL certificate to install on the second one. I also got a new IP address for it.

I understand that the instructions of the manual do not apply for VPS. So how do I install the 2nd certificate?

The VPS is running ubuntu 12.04 and nginx 1.4.4.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The instructions in the manual apply to all kind of servers. It does not matter if your server is a vps or rootserver for ssl.

3. bobpit

bobpit Member

4. bobpit

bobpit Member

ok, I have the same problem like in that old thread. I am in ispconfig, Domain -> [IPv4-Address] field. It displays a "*" and it does not accept the new IP address I want to enter.

5. till

Off course not as thats a html select field, you can not enter data in a html select field. If you want to add an IP, then go to System > server IP and add it.

6. till

Thats about IP address configuration of virtual network cards on vps systems. On a vps, the network card is configured in the vps configuration file on the host server and not inside the server.

7. bobpit

bobpit Member

8. till

Ensure that you selected the IP for all sites. Never mix * and Ip on a server as that confuses apache.

9. bobpit

bobpit Member

I did. I also set the fresh IP address for the second site at my domain name registrar. Could it be that there is the problem? That it needs time to propagate?

10. till

dns changes can take up to 24 hours.

11. bobpit

bobpit Member

assuming that the new IP address is xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

If I go to http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx , I still do not see the 2nd site. Is this normal? I think I should be able to see it even before it propagates (I made the changes about 12 hours ago).

12. bobpit

bobpit Member

24 hours passed, namecheap says that the A records are set correctly, and still the site (http://mmprox.com) does not come up.

From ISPConfig, I did add the IP address on the server and then selected it from the drop down box for the particular site.

What else should I check? Maybe check manually in the ubuntu files?

13. bobpit

bobpit Member

After 10 days it still does not work. So I guess I have not set it up correctly. I followed the manual. There are not many things to go wrong.

When I PING the IP, I get no response. This is not normal, right? What do you suggest that I check?

14. bobpit

bobpit Member

I think I know why it is not working. I need to add the IP in the /etc/network/interfaces file, right?

Well, my file does not look like the one in the manual. Here it is (xxx.xxx.xxx.001 is my main IP):

Code:
    # This configuration file is auto-generated.
    #
    # WARNING: Do not edit this file, your changes will be lost.
    # Please create/edit /etc/network/interfaces.head and
    # /etc/network/interfaces.tail instead, their contents will be
    # inserted at the beginning and at the end of this file, respectively.
    #
    # NOTE: it is NOT guaranteed that the contents of /etc/network/interfaces.tail
    # will be at the very end of this file.
    #

# Auto generated lo interface
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

# Auto generated venet0 interface
    auto venet0
    iface venet0 inet manual
    	up ifconfig venet0 up
    	up ifconfig venet0 127.0.0.2
    	up route add default dev venet0
    	down route del default dev venet0
    	down ifconfig venet0 down

iface venet0 inet6 manual
    	up route -A inet6 add default dev venet0
    	down route -A inet6 del default dev venet0

auto venet0:0
    iface venet0:0 inet static
    	address 
    	netmask 255.255.255.255
    So I created the file /etc/network/interfaces.tail:
    Code:
    auto venet0:1
    iface venet0:1 inet static
    	address xxx.xxx.xxx.002
    	netmask 255.255.255.255
    I rebooted the vps, nothing. It just ignores it, the /etc/network/interfaces file is not updated. I still cannot ping the new ip address.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014