SSL on multiple vhosts?

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by tini, Apr 16, 2010.

1. tini

tini New Member

Hi there

Is it possible to install SSL certificates in multiple sites when ISPConfig is running on only one IP?

Thank you

2. yoplait

yoplait Member

I think that yes, because ssl does just matter about the domain name, isn't it ?

3. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

No, it's not possible - you need one IP per SSL vhost.

4. yoplait

yoplait Member

Ouch ! Sorry if I was wrong ! :S

5. yoplait

yoplait Member

6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

It depends on the browser and apache. If you use the latest apache and are able to ensure that all your users use only the latest browsers, e.g. in a corporate enviroment, then its possible. If some of your users use older browser versions which is normally the case on internet sites, ssl will fail for them. Thats the reasons why falko told you that its not possible and thats why we have not implemented this in ispconfig.

It is highly recommended to do ssl sites the traditional way by using one dedicated IP address per site.

7. yoplait

yoplait Member

Yes, I saw that two problems. For apache, the problem is at the admin side, so, it's not so much a problem, but for the browser, it's a real problem, and the link I add speak about that.
    There's also the list of supported browser there : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_Name_Indication

I saw that on unsupported browser, the "first website" is shown in place of the good one :
    I think it really depends the importance of the SSL websites but thanks you for the precision about falko intention ;) !