Standard CGIs feature not working ?

Discussion in 'General' started by letic, Feb 19, 2008.

1. letic

letic New Member

Hey Falko and Till,

I have an issue with the Standard CGIs checkbox on the sites panel. My understanding was that it was blocking access to CGIs when not checked but it seems that even unchecked I am able to use the CGIs in /usr/lib/cgi-bin by using ScriptAlias in the Apache Directives.

When making a diff on the /etc/apache2/vhosts/Vhosts_ispconfig.conf and its previous version I see there is absolutely no change when checking or unchecking this option. So my questions would be : what is it for exactly ? How is it suppose to work ?

If it can help here is my configuration :
    - Debian etch Stable 64bits
    - Apache 2.2.3
    - PHP 5.2.0.8
    - ISPConfig 2.2.21 (same problem before upgrade on 2.2.19)

I don't think this is a bug, all my CGIs are working (viewvc, nagios2...) but I don't really like the fact that any client can access the CGI by adding a simple ScriptAlias ...

Thanks in advance
    Keep up the great work :)
    LeTic

2. daveb

daveb Member

If their is any cgi scripts placed by the system administrator in the folder
    Code:
    /root/ispconfig/standard_cgis/cgi-bin
    When you check standard cgis. Then it should copy the cgis from the standard-cgi folder to the appropriate webs cgi-bin folder for use.

3. letic

letic New Member

Hi Daveb,

Thanks for the answer. So I guess there is no way to prevent a client from using CGIs with ScriptAlias once the cgi module is enabled ?

LeTic

4. daveb

daveb Member

If you activate cgi for a web then yes they should be able to use cgi scripts but if cgi is not enabled then no the web should not be able to use cgi scripts. If you still can use cgi even if cgi is disabled then you might want to look at your main apache2 conf and make sure that their is no alias for cgi-bin enabled.

5. Ben

Ben Active Member Moderator

So that means, becaus I ran in a similar problem, the "cgi-bin" folder in the webs home dir is for standardcgi files from the path "/root/ispconfig/standard_cgis/cgi-bin" only?

Because if i hit www.mydomain.com/cgi-bin/anything.cgi, the log says 404, /home/www/webxx/web/anything.cgi is not found.

EDIT: The above mention function is not working. I copied a cgi file to "/root/ispconfig/standard_cgis/cgi-bin", enabled standard-cgi afterwards, but it is at first not copied to the web's cgi-bin folder, and as described I get the 404 anyway, because the cgi-bin folder is not accessible.

6. daveb

daveb Member

hmm works fine here.
    make sure your cgi files in /root/ispconfig/standard_cgis/cgi-bin are chmod 755.
    when you enable standard cgis all that is done is they are wrote to the cgi folder, but you must still enable cgi scripts to use cgi scripts.

no, you can upload all the cgis you need. the /root/ispconfig/standard_cgis/cgi-bin/cgi's are for say standard cgis of your choice you would like your users to use or say some sort of test file so the new web owner can test.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2008
  7. letic

letic New Member

Well that's my problem. All website can use CGIs even when it's unchecked in ISPConfig site tab.

Concerning my Apache configuration here are the details :

In /etc/apache2/apache.conf I have the following :
    Code:
    <Directory /var/www/*/cgi-bin>
        Options ExecCGI -Indexes
        AllowOverride None
        AllowOverride Indexes AuthConfig Limit FileInfo
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all
        <Files ~ "^\.ht">
        Deny from all
        </Files>
    </Directory>
    Which is in ISPConfig part of the file.

/etc/apache2/mods-enabled/cgi.load
    Code:
    LoadModule cgi_module /usr/lib/apache2/modules/mod_cgi.so
    But in all my vhost I'm able to use the cgi by adding ScriptAlias in the Apache directives ie
    Code:
    ScriptAlias /nagios2/cgi-bin /usr/lib/cgi-bin/nagios2
    I made a grep on all /etc and couldn't find any conf files that would change the CGI behaviour.

From what I could read in Apache documentation ScriptAlias is enough to make cgi-bin working (no need for ExecCGI), so I think it's not possible to prevent clients from running the cgi-bin installed on the server except I guess with a deny from all on /urs/lib/cgi-bin which could be overridden as well in the apache directives by the client.

What do you think ?
    LeTic

8. Ben

Yes, the file was with the right rights. But for my opinion ISPCOnfig should not care when copying. But anyway, ISPConfig did not copy at all, but mabye becasue I did not check both checkboxes, instead I just checked the standardcgi one...

9. daveb

daveb Member

@letic
    that is fine as that is added by ispconfig

didnt realize that but a normal user "customer" dont have the access to add or change apache directives. only Admin and resellers from what I can tell.

@Ben
    I agree ispconfig dont care when coping but your cgi will need to be executable and the only way I have been able to accomplish that is to chmod 755 my cgis before they are copied.

10. Ben

@daveb: i see. but I just reproduced it. Had myfile.cgi with chmod 755 in the mentioned dir but it was not copied.

11. daveb

daveb Member

by chance is their a file in your cgi-bin dir
    .csc
    if so I had a problem coping cgis over a second time. I deleted that file then reenabled standard cgis for web and then they were copied.

12. Ben

ah great ;) that did the trick. thx

13. daveb

daveb Member

@Ben
    Great glade that worked. Had me second guessing myself :)

14. tmdg

tmdg New Member

I'm not sure if this is same problem.

Up until I started using ISPconfig 2.2.21 my cgi scripts were working fine.

I now find if I check the CGI scripts for a server instead of getting a

ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /var/www/web5/cgi-bin/

I get

Alias /cgi-bin/ /var/www/web5/cgi-bin/

with a bit of poking about I found

config.lib.php

has

Code:
        $cgi = "";
        if($web["web_cgi"] == 1) $cgi = "Alias  /cgi-bin/ ".$mod->system->server_conf["server_path_httpd_root"]."/"."web".$web["doc_id"]."/"."cgi-bin/
    AddHandler cgi-script .cgi
    AddHandler cgi-script .pl";
        /*
        if($web["web_cgi"] == 1) $cgi = "ScriptAlias  /cgi-bin/ ".$mod->system->server_conf["server_path_httpd_root"]."/"."web".$web["doc_id"]."/"."cgi-bin/
    AddHandler cgi-script .cgi
    AddHandler cgi-script .pl";
        */

Changed "Alias" to ScriptAlias" and that fixed my problem.

regards,
    Tom.