step-by-step DNS Setup for ISPConfig!?!

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by bolinux, Sep 13, 2005.

1. bolinux

bolinux New Member

okay, i search the whole forum and there are many questions about dns setup / bindings and no answer that fix. :(

is there any body that have compassion whit us newbies and post a howto? :rolleyes:

from the firts stepp, beginning by the domain provider to ispconfig and howto check the dns is working?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2005
  2. domino

domino New Member

OK, when you finish installing Linux (any version) and ISPC, you have basically installed a DNS server which is called BIND. I would then contact support from my registrar to help with the rest. I don't think till or falko can support every registrar on the net so you best bet if to let your registrar know what you are doing and how and what to enter in the blanks for the DNS "things".

My registrar is Namecheap, and they have been very helpful with my registry settings. All i did was provide them with the information they asked and they told me what was possible and just wasn't going to work. They were even helpful in helping me set up the dynamic dns they provided as a free service. Note that not all registrar have a free DynamicDNS service.

3. showe1966

showe1966 Member

4. createch

createch ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

First, follow the perfect setup of a linux server , then install the ISPconfig as instructed.

Then, go to Godaddy, apply for a new domain name for your DNS
    (e.g. mynewdns.com)

Assuming your server's IP is 210.17.223.88
    do *not* change the dns setting of this new domain in godaddy, but add the following entries:

a) create a A-record: ns1.mynewdns.com, point to 210.17.223.88
    b) create another A-record: ns2.mynewdns.com, point to 210.17.223.88

Go to "host", add the ns1 and ns2 (points to 210.17.223.88) [this step is very important].

Set the same data in your ISPconfig panel (ns1, ns2). From now on, you have your DNS server and can apply for additional domains, which use ns1.mynewdns.com and ns2.mynewdns.com as name servers. Of course, make sure the following things are true:

a) the DNS is running (NAMED) in your server
    b) there is no firewall blocking the port for DNS

Enjoy....