? Step by step Tutorial ?

Discussion in 'General' started by DTGorm, Nov 24, 2006.

1. DTGorm

DTGorm New Member

I am new to ISPConfig and was wondering if there was any step by step tutorials on say adding new websites. I have looked over the CP but cant seem to make jsut a website with me bing the reseller..

I click on ISP Manager....> New Site...
    On the right, there are 3 drop down boxes and they are set to:
    Reseller: admin
    Customer: No client available.
    Hostingplan: Individual Settings

WHen I click on [next>>], nothing happens..

So i need to find out the "correct" way to use ISPConfig. I plan on moving over my current windows hosting to a linux box and would like to get ISPConfig down. I already have many sites that are being hosted on the windows box.

If there are any tutorials on how to setup websites and how to access thier ftp to upload the sites, that would be much apprecaited. I have searched and searched and havent quite turned up much of use. I have read the documentation, but nothing to really help me learn it better.

Thanks!

=============================================================
    UPDATE**

Finally created a site but i cant figure out what to use to login to FTP. I try the web1_username and it logs me in but i see a bunch of files beginning with . then a fodler named web.. in teh web folder there is index.html and if i edit that file and upload it, the changes are not seen on the website.. I dont get this... also, when I create a new client by click on teh [New Client] button, the client isnt added to the clients folder under ISPConfig...

help..

=============================================================
    UPDATE2**

Ok, figured out where its logging me into and where the website actually sits are 2 totally different directories...
    login with web1_username: /var/www/web1/user/web1_username
    location of website: /var/www/www.tld.com/web which is a shortcut to /var/www/web1/web

Also, when I go to the ISP Client settings, and setup the Login Data, its not creating that login for proftpd...

Obviously if alot of others are able to get this working, then im doing sometnhing wrong..

Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2006
  2. fobicodam

fobicodam ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

Obviously you are a linux user or an inexperence one.. did you try the helps?

To create a website you need a customer (didnt you notice the "Customers not availables" text?)

To create a website ftp user you need to check your user as "Administrator".

Read the manuals, there are lot of step-by-steps there.

3. DTGorm

DTGorm New Member

Thank you for your help. I did read everything I could find and i must have overlooked where anything says about how to do this. I am now able to login and change the web..

ISP CLIENT : LOGIN DATA
    When I set a user/pass under that area, i still dont know what that sets up a login for.
    "Here you can set a username and password to for the client to manage his sites."

4. fobicodam

fobicodam ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

Mmm dont know.. what do you wanna know? you are setting the username and password for ftp and email login..

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

This is the username and password that your client can use to manage the site himself. If this is your own website and you are the administartor, you dont need the client login.

Always have in mind that ISPConfig is a hosting control panel that is normally used to host sites for clients and not just to run one site for yourself. So it has functions like clients and resellers that are needed to separate the priveliges in a hosting business.

6. DTGorm

DTGorm New Member

Thanks, that makes alot of sense.

I currently host many sites without the use of a control panel. So this is something of great interest to me.

About the Invoices... do they just create invoices to print and mail or does it have the ability to email the invoices also?
    Does ISPConfig email anything to anyone?

I appreciate the time you all are taking to helping me answer some questions taht I'm sure are basic to you all.

7. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Yes, you can print them.

No, you can't mail them with ISPConfig, but you could write your own application that does it. The invoices are stored in ISPConfig's database.