still trying to figure out DNS

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by rebeltaz, Jan 7, 2008.

1. rebeltaz

rebeltaz New Member

I still cannot figure this out! Let me tell you what my settings are in ISPConfig, and please tell me that SOMEone can help...

Settings:
    Server: Server
    Hostname: server
    Domain: shelby.com
    IP Address: 192.168.1.13 (local address)

DNS Manager:
    Domain:
    Server: Server
    Domain (SOA): LimeTwistMagazine.com
    IP Address: 192.168.1.13 (local address)

Options:
    Nameserver 1:
    Nameserver 2:
    for both of these I have tried 192.168.1.13, 72.149.151.22 and shelby.server.com

Records:
    I have two entries - ns1 and www
    I've tried the same address as I did under nameserver 1 and 2

PLEASE HELP!

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Nameserver must be always a domain and not a IP. Then the next setp is to make your nameserver authoritive for the domain by setting it as nameserver for the domain in the control panel of your domain registrar.

3. Rockdrala

Rockdrala New Member

Make sure you set up your glue records to for the sub to be a nameserver too or some hosts control panel will deny it being set as the name server like godaddy.

They forced me to set up the glue records before i could manually point any domains to the nameserver.

4. rebeltaz

rebeltaz New Member

How do I get the rest of the world to recognize shelby.com.server? Do I have to register a different domain for that?

I did create a sub-domain ns1.limetwistmagaizine.com under www.limetwistmagazine.com. Do I use that the nameserver instead of the server.shelby.com? And if I do, do I have to do the same thing for every site I host - then I'd have to have like five DNS servers instead of just the one.

You know... I'm not really this dense....

5. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer