Stop overwriting config files on ISPconfig update

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by browngb, Nov 21, 2011.

1. browngb

browngb ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

The last few times I've updated my ISPconfig3 using the update.sh or the button in the control panel, it has overwritten my dovecot.conf, main.cf and ispconfig.vhost. This has been a problem for me as it breaks my SSL which brings down the control panel and all email (or anything accessed by SSL). I'm sure this isn't the intended functionality, so what am I doing wrong? Is there a way to exclude these files from being overwritten?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The updater asks you if services shall be reconfigured or not, if you choose no, then no config files get overwritten. But you should be aware that functions might stop working when you choose no and you have to compare every config file manually with the templates delivered by ISPConfig to make your system compatible with the new release. Also new functions wont work if you use incompatible config files.

Most likely you added incompatible changes in these files then, e.g. used a wrong location or filename for the ssl certs in the ispconfog vhost so that the updater cant find your files.

3. browngb

browngb ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

So ISPConfig should be comparing my config file versus the template and copy over anything custom, if I've configured it correctly?

My ispconfig.vhost file is just like the template, except for SSL info changed to my info.

Is there a way for the updater to report what config files it overwrote so I can go back and manually update them?

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

ISPConfig checks if the required ssl config files exist in the ispconfig ssl directory. If they are there, then ssl gets enabled, otherwise ssl is disabled. If you put your config files in a different directory or give them a different name, then ispconfig can not find them and ssl gets disabled.

All config files for services that are configured by ispconfig get modified on an update to make them compatible with the new ispconfig release. ISPConfig stores a copy if the files with ~ appended to the filename where possible.