Strange email problem for one of my domains... any help appreciated

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by paulrobert_a, Jan 13, 2006.

1. paulrobert_a

paulrobert_a New Member

Hi folks

I've been looking at the forums for the last couple of hours but I've had no luck in finding a resolution to my email/webmail problem, any help would be much appreciated...

Basically I've been playing around with web hosting for some time now, but I've only just installed ISPConfig for the first time the other day. Everything worked fine I now have 3 domains running off my newly created server. However today I find one of the domains isn't receiving any emails, nor am I able to login via webmail, I've checked everything I believe could cause the problem, but I've run a ground... (only route I have left is delete and recreate the domain & emails to see if it solves it somehow.)

The strangeness is that this domain was working the other day, without any problem sent & received emails, logged into webmail multiple times, logged in via POP3.

The server is a P2-350 running Ubuntu 5.10, as described on HowtoForge ISP-Server Setup. I had only one problem during install which was to do with the starting up of saslauthd, which I got resolved thanks to these forums...
    I use external DNS servers were all 3 domains are configured the same, the server is only being used for smtp/pop3 as my webserver is on another machine, so webmail is accessed only via the local network.

I've checked the working domains to make sure they were configured the same way within ISPConfig and they are. I've sent emails from the server back to the domains it hosts (example1.com, example2.com, example3.com), only example1.com & example3.com receive those emails. I've also attempted the same thing from external email server with the same effect. I have also connected via telnet to confirm ability to login via all 3 domains which I can without problem.

I know deep down it's probably something really simple and glaring but I've not been able to spot it, can anyone suggest anything else that may be the cause/solution of this strange problem without removing the domain & users and recreating them?

Sorry for the long message, but Thanks if you can help.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

To trak this down:

1) If you send an email to this domain, wich lines appear in the mail log?

2) Is the domain listed in the file /etc/postfix/local-host-names ?

3) Is the email address that shall receive the emails listed in /etc/postfix/virtusertable ?

4) Which output do you get when you exectute

dig MX mydomain.com

Replace mydomain with your domainname ;)

3. paulrobert_a

paulrobert_a New Member

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!

Hi Till,

Thanks so much for your suggestions you got me on the right track, and yes it was simple after all... turns out I somehow changed the Co-domain hostname for that particular domain to include www, which rendered the email useless.

Thanks again!

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Normally the hostname for sites is www, but every site shall have a co-domain where the hostname is empty. This co-domain is added by ISPConfig automatically. If you dont find it in the co-domain list, please add it.

5. paulrobert_a

paulrobert_a New Member

Hi Till,

Sorry I never got back sooner... yeah what I had done was changed the default co-domain record that ispconfig creates to include the hostname 'www'.

Thanks every so much for your help!

6. MidGart

MidGart New Member

till, thanks. A nice manual, as for me