Strange ISPConfig behaviors (config file overwriting, can't display mailboxes)

Discussion in 'General' started by CJ M, Feb 6, 2024.

1. CJ M

CJ M New Member

This is a new install I did on a fresh server using the relevant perfect server guide. I've used ISPConfig before many years ago. I don't need IPv6 and don't have time to mess with it, so I shut it off in the Network configurator of Ubuntu desktop (22.04).

This required that I modify many config files for nginx and dovecot and postfix.

1. For dovecot, I initially added the listen = * statement in /usr/local/ispconfig/server/conf-custom/install/dovecot_custom.conf.master (to disable IPv6 for dovecot) and it seemed to take it when I forced an update and reconfigure services. But on subsequent invocations of reconfiguring services the mods do not show up in dovecot.conf (they are overwritten). For nginx and postfix I am not sure how I make mods to the config files in a way that the changes get re-used when services are reconfigured. So for now those are manually hacked to allow nginx to start up and postfix to send/receive email.

2. The first time I logged in to the ISPConfig interface I was able to add mailboxes. When I go back in after a server reboot, and try to display the list of email boxes for a domain, nothing shows up! If I go query the database at a low level, like this:
    select * from mail_user;
    I see a list of the mailboxes in the output.

So, if I hack config files manually I can make things work, but I can't figure out how to make config files persist across invocations of:
    ispconfig_update.sh --force

And I can't ever see a list of the email boxes in the UI....and the only post I could find like this was from 2016 and unanswered. When I go into the Email Mailbox page for the domain I see "No results." Quite strange since i can see the email users in the mariadb/mysql database, when queried directly.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

CJ

Last edited: Feb 6, 2024
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Template overrides work like this:

Config templates that shall be overridden and are changed during an ISPConfig update need to be copied from install/tpl/ folder of the ISPConfig tar.gz file to the folder /usr/local/ispconfig/server/conf-custom/install/

Config templates that are used at runtime e.g. when you change a website or add a DNS record or mailbox are in /usr/local/ispconfig/server/conf/ and need to be copied to /usr/local/ispconfig/server/conf-custom/ folder and changed there to make the changes update safe.

Most likely you accidentally have a filter set in the mailbox list. Such a filter survives system reboots of the server as it is stored in the session. If you do not see the filter you set right away, you can just log out of ISPConfig and log in again to clear the session.