Strange Permission Denied error

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by garg, Apr 1, 2009.

1. garg

garg New Member

I have a debian etch server that has a dhcp server and webmin installed. Webmin and dhcp works great. Now I wanted to install a web app so I needed to install apache.

I installed it and with out changing any thing it started saying and it started giving 403 errors and
    Forbidden

You don't have permission to access / on this server.

Error log said:

[Wed Apr 01 13:33:57 2009] [error] [client my_ip] (13)Permission denied: access to / denied

I decided to remove everything and start over so I did

apt-get --purge remove apache*

This got rid of everything apache and then I did:

apt-get install apache2 apache2-doc apache2-mpm-prefork apache2-utils libexpat1 ssl-cert

apt-get install libapache2-mod-php5 php5 php5-common php5-curl php5-dev php5-gd php5-idn php-pear php5-imagick php5-imap php5-json php5-mcrypt php5-memcache php5-mhash php5-ming php5-mysql php5-ps php5-pspell php5-recode php5-snmp php5-sqlite php5-tidy php5-xmlrpc php5-xsl

(basically all the apache steps shown here http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_debian_etch_p6 )

Then I browsed to the IP and it gave me the exact something. I know it's not cached, and I have rebooted and force-reloaded.

I have tried to make /var/www/ 777 and I've changed the owner/group to www-data and then later root (default). I have made an index.html file inside and made that 777.

Anything I do keeps giving me the same 403 error.

Any ideas?

2. garg

garg New Member

I just uninstalled webmin as well. Then uninstalled all of apache and php. I did rm -rf to /etc/apache2.

And then reinstalled with apt-get and then I go to <server addr> I get 403 error again.

What seems to have happened to this server? haha

3. garg

garg New Member

Some thing was corrupt. I reinstalled the server from scratch and now it works :)