Stuck at Step 7 Configure The Network

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by Shyuan, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Shyuan

Shyuan New Member

Hi,

I am installing ISPConfig3 on a VPS Debian 7 64bit. When I reach step 7 "Configure The Network" on this tutorial page [http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-server-debian-wheezy-apache2-bind-dovecot-ispconfig-3-p3], the below is what I got (very different from your tutorial). I don't know what to do with it. I used to install ISPConfig3 once and ended have someone to installed it for me. This time I am doing it myself. I am server novice.

Code:
    root@ion:~# vi /etc/network/interfaces
    # This configuration file is auto-generated.
    #
    # WARNING: Do not edit this file, your changes will be lost.
    # Please create/edit /etc/network/interfaces.head and
    # /etc/network/interfaces.tail instead, their contents will be
    # inserted at the beginning and at the end of this file, respectively.
    #
    # NOTE: it is NOT guaranteed that the contents of /etc/network/interfaces.tail
    # will be at the very end of this file.
    #

# Auto generated lo interface
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

# Auto generated venet0 interface
    auto venet0
    iface venet0 inet manual
            up ifconfig venet0 up
            up ifconfig venet0 127.0.0.2
            up route add default dev venet0
            down route del default dev venet0
            down ifconfig venet0 down
    Type  :quit<Enter>  to exit Vim                               1,1           Top

Could you kindly guide me in this? Your help would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  2. stefanm

stefanm Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi,

it seems that your VPS is an OpenVZ container configured with a venet interface, so these settings are ok (only the openvz admin can assign IPs).

But note that a VPS is probably not the best base for an ISPConfig installation. Because of the container environment, you don't have access to several system parts, e.g. you will not be able to configure fstab and quota (I don't how this affects ispconfig, because ispconfig adds mounts for the log files, so this might not work, either).

Plus, as far as I can remember, some services might not fully work with a venet device.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

ISPConfig is working fine in openvz incl. quota, I use openvz for all of my servers.

The network cofiguration that you posted is fine, you dont have to alter it.

Regarding quota, just dont configire /etc/fstab as quota is manged by openvz. Just ensure that you install the quotatools and ask your hosting provider to enable quota for your container, if that not the case already.