stuck with ntop (CentOS 5.3)

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by irado, Apr 8, 2009.

1. irado

irado New Member

I am trying to use ntop and install it as per these howto:

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/howto-install-ntop-on-rhel-centos-fedora-linux/

(also rrdtools):

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/howto-install-rrdtool-on-rhel-linux/
    (installed and tested as per instructions)

in the a.m. howto it was not possible to use ntop at all, due to this error:

ntop-3.3.9/
    autogen.sh --with-rrd-home=/usr/local/rrdtool
    [.. lots of information ..]
    configure: error: Unable to find RRD at /usr/local/rrdtool: please use --with-rrd-home=DIR

error; note that even with the proper "DIR" information it returns such error AND stops.

then I installed ntop with yum - all runs smoothly and ntop runs (apparently) normal here EXCEPT that, when asking for any graphic (network load, traffic) it doesnot show any graph, just this message:

"NOTE: this page is not operational when the RRD plugin is disabled, misconfigured or missing."

BUT.. these (and some others) are already enabled.

So, I am stuck: HOW can I got those nice graphics? think that it is closely related with those "Unable to find RRD at /usr/local/rrdtool", but I have nor error messages nor log's pointing me to the right direction.

Any hint, pls?

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Did you see any errors when you built RRDTool?

3. irado

irado New Member

no, but I managed to solve it and, using the debug tool got rrd to function.. but problem changed somewhat:

situation now:

a) the summary/network loads shows the traditional "NOTE: this page is not operational when the RRD plugin is disabled, misconfigured or missing." besides it is properly configured/activated (think so).

b) if using the "info about" a particular host (all protocols/traffic, then any host) and click in the "historical data" icon (last line, right), it shows various empty chart, no data at all.

so.. I am still stuck.
    :confused:

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

That sounds like a permissions problem (like RRDTool is not allowed to write graphics to a certain directory). Did you check your log files?