Sub domain Not working in ISPConfig 3

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by Donno, Jun 18, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Donno

Donno Member

Hi,
    I am new to ISPConfig. Setup a server two weeks ago and bought manual last week, I manged to setup two servers after a few attempts a primary server and secondary DNS server only. I have tested most of all the the settings and everything works really well except sub domains for websites, I have battled for the past two days :

I setup website and DNS and go to example.com it works.
    I log in to ftp for example.com and create folder def and in folder I create index.html and go to example.com/def and it works
    I go to DNS and make A record def i go to subdomain and create def.example.com Flag L and set Path /def/ then go to def.example.com does not work. I have even Redirect to google.com but also does not work.

ANY HELP ?

2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Have you created a website for def.example.com?

ahrasis likes this.
  3. Donno

Donno Member

No cause it is a folder in my main site that needs to be accessed by the main site. Is it optimal ? cause if you look at this video, this is what i am trying to do but not working for me ?

4. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

In there, subdomain for website is created (2:40 onwards), that is what @Taleman trying to say, so did you do that?

5. Donno

Donno Member

I created example.com as web site and def.example.com as sub domain and made A DNS Record for def.example.com

I did not create def.example.com as website because how would example.com access def.example.com. def.example.com is sub domain like example.com/def/ then main site can access the folder and if go to def.example.com it loads content of example.com/def/ but when i create it it does not work when i load def.example.com it gives error

This site can’t be reached
    def.*********.com’s server IP address could not be found.

• Go to **************. com
    • Search Google for def **********
    ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED

6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Then you probably missed adding a DNS A-Record or CNAME record for this subdomain on the DNS server that is resposnible for the domain name.

7. Donno

Donno Member

The A Record is there do you also need a CNAME ? When i add the CNAME ISPConfig tells me duplicate A Record or CNAME

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  8. Donno

Donno Member

Where is the log for ISPConfig DNS adding and editing ? on ISPconfig the A record is there but when i do i dig

dig +nocmd yourdomain.com any +multiline +noall +answer

None of the A records are displaying FTP,MAIL ect...

9. Donno

Donno Member

In /ect/bind/pri.example.com.err the right DNS settings are there but In /ect/bind/pri.example.com there are only default setting doing a dig on domain i only get mail.example.com as additional A Record after using mail.example.com to sub domain to example.com/def/ it then works so some how the Bind9 DNS is not updating my Records. Any Help ? Where are the ISPConfig bind9 log files ???

10. Donno

Donno Member

DNS Records where wrong, forget point behind domain name. Working now :)

11. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Log file locations on ISPConfig servers are not ISPConfig specific, they are specific to the used Linux Distribution. E.g. on Debian and Ubuntu, bind log lines can be found in /var/log/syslog