subdomains under sites tab

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by rdhir, May 13, 2009.

1. rdhir

rdhir New Member

Hi,

I'm struggling a bit with the lack of documentation. And I'm googling but couldn't find anything on topic.

When I create a subdomain under the Sites tab, I would expect it to create the Domain entry under the domain tab or there to be a check box. This does not seem to work, I create the subdomain, but no changes appear domain record, I kind of expect to see a new A record.

TO demonstrate

SITES TAB
    CLICK on subdomain on the left

Fields
    Host rajiv
    Domain dhirs.org.uk
    Redirect No Redirect
    Redirect Path []
    Active Checked

I would then expect to see a new vhost
    rajiv.dhirs.org.uk

and a new A record

A rajiv.dhirs.org.uk x.x.x.x

where x.x.x.x matches the record for this host.

I'm basically trying to run wordpress-mu with the multisite domain add in so I can remap

*.blogs.totemspace.com (my ISPConfig 3 server)

to

blog.clienttld.tld

so it would be nice if the subdomain sorted out the entries as I will be using ispconfig/mydns to manage the content dns.

Cheers

Rajiv

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

A subdomain is not a vhost. If you want a new vhost, then add a new website and not a subdomain.

3. rdhir

rdhir New Member

Thanks for the update! :D I thinks its more a problem of lack of documentation and clarity in terminology.

Anyway I got the job done, and I'll take a look at seeing if I can script it if people would be interested, but php is not my strong suit.

What I have set up is wordpress mu with the multisite add in. This allows me to set up blogs as subdomains, but currently I have to edit the vhost file manually at the end of the process to make it point back to the wordpress mu directory containing the php.

So for example. If I have an ISP Config host as server.mydomain.com
    I create and add a new vhost blogs.mydomain.com. Without the multisite add in you would be limited to either blog1.blogs.mydomain.com or blogs.mydomain.com/blog1. The wordpress code is held in /usr/share/wordpressmu, much like phpmyadmin, and a single database supports all blogs.

With my process its relatively straight forward to have

blog.clientdomain.com

or

user.clientdomain.com

instead.

Current issues are

1) Single database so security is not great but performance is good.
    2) Have not thought out delegation of blog site administration, urls are nice, creating the right users is just not clear.
    So for example its easy to have
    user1.clientdomain.tld
    user2.clientdomain.tld
    Site Admin url is <anyblog URL>/wp-admin.php

Cheers

Rajiv

4. Christian

Christian New Member

I have a simmelair problem.
    I have created "www.firstsite.com" so I'll have a folder tree like "/var/www/firstsite.com/web" were my "index.html" is situated.
    But now I want to make an subdomain to a folder.

So if I go to Http://subdomain.firstsite.com I'll see the index.html that I placed in the "../subdomain/ folder

The location of this folder is "/var/www/firstsite.com/web/subdomain".
    But I tried anything but still didn't work.

I made the subdomain as follows:
    host:subdomain
    domain: firstsite.com
    redirect type: (did all of them! per path)
    redirect path: and I tried the following:
    1 - /var/www/firstsite.com/web/subdomain/

2 - /web/subdomain/ resulted:

3 - /subdomain
    active: yes

This all resulted in one of the error's: (You don't have permission to access / on this server. Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request) or (http://subdomain.firstsite.com/web/subdomain/web/subdomain/web/subdomain/web/subdomain/ etc. etc.)

Can anyone tell me how to get this working?

5. till

No manual editing needed. What you did is exactly waht the subdomain is for. Just add as many subdomains as you need and they will all point to the wordpress mu installation of the master site.

6. till

The correct redirect path is:

/subdomain/

7. Christian

Christian New Member

Thx Till,

But can you be a bit more specific? Because I did this with all the redirect types, but no show, and I have an index in place.

Like what does the types mean:
    No Flag =
    R =
    L =
    R,L =

Thx in advance

Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  8. till