Suexec

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by cat, Dec 18, 2008.

1. cat

cat New Member

If I check the check box Suexec: what happens?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Suexec gets enabled.

3. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

4. cat

cat New Member

Clarification

Thanks Falko

The apache article states
    1. Is the Suexec feature in ISPConfig only for CGI and SSI?

2. If the Suexec feature in ispconfig is enabled does it affect the running of web pages?

3. If the answer to question 2 is no, and I want the web pages run as the user ID of the site administrator then do I have to install suPHP?

4. If the answer to 3 is yes, for ubuntu 8.04 is the best way to install suPHP to follow http://www.howtoforge.com/install-suphp-on-various-linux-distributions-for-use-with-ispconfig-2.2.20-and-above or is there a better way?

5. till

1) Yes. The suexec feature is a feature of the apache webserver and not a ispconfig feature, so enabling it means that exactly that happens what the apache manual describes.

2) Yes.

3) If you want to run php scripts under the admin user you should not enable suexec and install suphp instead.

4) Yes.

6. cat

cat New Member

I followed the instructions in

http://www.howtoforge.com/install-s...tions-for-use-with-ispconfig-2.2.20-and-above

to install suphp on my Vhosts ispconfig ubuntu server. I am having several problems.
    The first is that when I run pages that send emails I receive the following error.

line 5 reads
    PHP:
    include("Mail.php");
    Some time prior to changing to suphp I installed pear mail class and it was working well, but since installing suphp the pear mail class no longer works. Does any one have any suggestions?

7. till

Please make sure that the file Mail.php exists in this directory: /var/www/web2/web/
    Files from outside the web root can not be included for security reasons under suphp. The pear documentation includes instructions on how to install pear in a specific local directory.

8. cat

cat New Member

paer suphp on Vhosts

Thanks for the quick reply, I will have a look at the pear instructions. In the mean time is there a way to install pear so that it is available to all Vhosts under suphp?

9. falko

You can install pear as follows:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install php-pear

10. cat

cat New Member

Thanks falko for the reply

I followed your instruction and installed php-pear but I still get

any further suggestions?

11. falko

What's the output of
    Code:
    updatedb
    locate Mail.php
    ?

12. cat

cat New Member

/usr/share/php/Mail.php

13. falko

Add /usr/share/php to your php.ini's include_path.

14. cat

cat New Member

Hi falko

I took a look at the php.ini and the include_path before I made any changes looked like this

include_path = ".:/usr/share/php"

So I removed the “.:” and tested the script again and got the same errors. I also tried putting a “/” after the php to see if that helped (both with and without “.:”) but that still produced the same errors. I even tried replacing the “.:” with “.” and “:”, with and without the “/” after the php but still got the same errors.

I also note that there are 3 php.ini’s

/etc/php5/apache/php.ini
    /etc/php5/cgi/php.ini
    /etc/php5/cli/php.ini

and just to be safe I made all changes to all three but the errors persist. In case you missed it earlier or have forgotten it, we are working with suPHP.

Thanks again for your help

15. till

You can not access scripts from /usr/share/php when using suphp for security reasons. You should install a copy of pear locally inside the web directory.

16. cat

cat New Member

Hi Till

1) Do you mean install pear in
    A) /var/www/
    or
    B) /var/www/web2/

If your answer is B then the problem I have with this setup is that pear has to be installed for each vhost, and updated for each vhost, each time there is an update. What a pain that will be.

On a separate but related issue, I noticed in
    http://www.howtoforge.com/install-suphp-on-various-linux-distributions-for-use-with-ispconfig-2.2.20-and-above
    the tutorial to set up suPHP I run, the configurarion line

particularly

what would happen of I used

instead?

Also thanks guys I really appreciate all your help.

17. cat

cat New Member

I guess I am going to answer my own question!

For the benefit of all those who are reading this thread I found this description of the different modes.

mode-force
    runs scripts with UID/GID specified in Apache configuration (i.e., apache:apache)

mode-owner
    runs scripts with owner UID/GID

mode-paranoid
    runs scripts with owner UID/GID but also checks if they match the UID/GID specified in the Apache configuration