Suggestion for Front End Gui for Database Entry

Discussion in 'Suggest HOWTO' started by PRO_wannabe, Sep 20, 2012.

1. PRO_wannabe

PRO_wannabe New Member

I was hoping someone could suggest a front end gui that would allow customer service reps to enter in to a database that would have already been created with mysql or some other open source database. I haven't actually created a database yet and was hoping for a suggestion on an easy to create and maintain program. The gui should also allow querying the database. Currently, we just enter data in to an excel spreadsheet which becomes long and tedious after a while.

appreciate any help,
    thanks
    Keith

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Something like phpMyAdmin?

3. PRO_wannabe

PRO_wannabe New Member

I appreciate the quick reply. I was afraid someone would come back with phpMyAdmin as a suggestion. I admit that I have perused this as a possibility for creating the database as admin. On first look it doesn't seem to lend itself for easily creating something to present to an end user unless I am greatly overlooking its abilities. Remember end users are usually not computer savvy and need something simple for data entry/querying a db. I will go back and look at phpMyAdmin but again I was hoping for something simple for my customer reps not for an admin.

thanks,
    Keith

4. falko

I guess you will have to program a suitable front-end yourself that fits your needs.

5. MaddinXx

MaddinXx Member

I'm still not sure what you want, but I guess SQLBuddy could be for you:

http://sqlbuddy.com/

It's a very simple MySQL frontend like phpMyAdmin with limited functionality and only a single file.

Therefor, styling etc. can be done easily with HTML/CSS e.g. to hide irrelevant information.

Note that this project is no longer alive, but that doesn't mean it's bad...

6. TiTex

TiTex Member

if it doesn't need to be web based there are a lot of free tools out there that can query,update,export databases/tables some of them are very easy to use

7. falko

8. PRO_wannabe

PRO_wannabe New Member

Thanks for each of your replies. I continue to evaluate your suggestions.
    cheers,
    Keith

9. Damieen

Damieen New Member

Well , if you don't mind, may I know which programming language are you using for the back end ??

10. PRO_wannabe

PRO_wannabe New Member

Currently, I don't have a backend (strictly computer speaking :)) at current. This was just a project I was wanting to try so I haven't nailed anything down. I was just thinking it would be nice to have some gui frontend to be able to let a customer rep to be able to input/edit/view data in a database that is currently residing in long excel spreadsheets, even though the ability to quickly see all the information in the spreadsheet form is nice. I don't know if that kind of view is possible from a LAMP scenerio. I really don't have a good handle on programming at this time though I can definitely learn. I use to program many years ago back in the old days ie fortran, basic, rpg, prehistoric languages ;-)

Keith

11. Damieen

Damieen New Member

Well you are the oldest player of this field and looking much versed with all these. Thanks for sharing about you work and experience. Hope you project may reach to final module soon.