Suse 10 new Hard Drive install

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by mphayesuk, Nov 1, 2005.

1. mphayesuk

mphayesuk Member HowtoForge Supporter

Ok what I have is a IDE 80gig Hard Drive installed which is /home/

What I want to do is add a xxxgig SATA drive and merge the two drives together to make a bigger /home/ drive without losing any information currently on the ide hard drive (/home/)

Thanks

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Then you must shutdown the server, install the new HD, start the server again, run fdisk or cfdisk to partition the harddisk, the format the harddiskt with e.g. ext3.

Then i recommend to mount the new HD as e.g /mnt/tmp_home, copy all files from /home to the /mnt/tmp_home partition. Then change the /etc/fstab that your new hd is mounted as /home after reboot and then reboot your server.

3. mphayesuk

will this combine the two hardrives to make one /home OR is what you have said the way to replace one harddrive with another.

4. till

This will replace your home partition with a partition of the new harddisk. it will not replace the complete old harddisk. If you want to merge the new and old /home partition, you will have to use LVM (logical valume management) but I'am not sure if you can install it when the server is laready setup.

5. mphayesuk

Ok I take it that fdisk does run under linux, ie from the root command line.

6. till

Yes, the partitioning program on linux is called fdisk too :) But you can also use the program cfdisk, which is easier to handle.