Switched from certbot to acme.sh, server issues on SSL renewal

Discussion in 'General' started by ISPCNoob, Oct 16, 2024.

1. ISPCNoob

ISPCNoob New Member

Hello,

Long story short a few months ago I switched over from certbot to acme.sh. To transition went smooth. My server certificates have come up for renewal and they have all failed. I tried to manually renew them but I'm getting connection refused errors.

I manually tried to renew and I can see the .well-known dir being filled with the verification file however this error happens:
    [Tue Oct 15 08:14:43 PM CDT 2024] errordetail='IP_REMOVED: Fetching http://domain.com/.well-known/acme-challenge/ttH9UjAYXcJQUGQpl-1RDmOyvNp1_JQSOnGbeW_OErc: Connection refused'

When trying to start nginx I get the following error:
    SSL_CTX_use_PrivateKey("/usr/local/ispconfig/interface/ssl/ispserver.key") failed (SSL: error:05800074:x509 certificate routines::key values mismatch)

They crt/key files inside /usr/local/ispconfig/interface/ssl are symlinked to the LE certs. I was able to generate a self signed SSL and get the servers in my cluster back online. However all LE SSL certs/renewals are now failing. Manually trying to renew via the acme.sh script results in the connection refused errors and takes nginx offline. I can manually restart it with the self signed SSL certs.

Is there a process to switch back to certobot from acme.sh? The switch seemed smooth but it has taken my entire network down while certbot ran fine for years without any issues.

My servers (VMs) are all running similar to the: https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/perfect-server-debian-10-nginx-bind-dovecot-ispconfig-3.1/ the only difference was they had certbot on them before acme.sh became the standard.

2. ISPCNoob

ISPCNoob New Member

Just a follow up.

I was able to fix this by running the following commands

Generate self signed SSL, restart NGINX:
    cd /usr/local/ispconfig/interface/ssl
    openssl genrsa -out ispserver.key 4096
    openssl req -new -key ispserver.key -out ispserver.csr
    openssl x509 -req -days 3650 -in ispserver.csr -signkey ispserver.key -out ispserver.crt
    openssl rsa -in ispserver.key -out ispserver.key.insecure
    mv ispserver.key ispserver.key.secure
    mv ispserver.key.insecure ispserver.key
    service nginx restart

Remove acme.sh:
    ~/.acme.sh/acme.sh --uninstall

Install certbot:
    apt install certbot

Secure services: https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/securing-ispconfig-3-with-a-free-lets-encrypt-ssl-certificate/

After installing certbot again I regenerated the LetsEncrypt SSL certificates in the GUI. I do not know what happened with acme.sh or why it failed on the renewals, I haven't touched it since switching over from certbot but switching back to certbot seems to have fixed my issues.

After the certs are renewed with certbot:
    rm -r ~/.acme.sh

Last edited: Oct 16, 2024
  3. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter