switching servers, also want to go from ISPCFG2 to ISPCFG3

Discussion in 'General' started by Ovidiu, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

hi there,

I have to get a new server soon and switch my content to it. I thought this would also be the perfect opportunity to go from ISPCFG2 to ISPCFG3 so I thought I'd rather ask here first.

1. is there a good tutorial for this? otherwise I would have to improvise, maybe you can give me a rough outline at least?
    2. any reason not to switch to ISPCFG3?
    3. how long will ISPCFG2 receive support now that ISPCFG3 is out?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

1) No.
    2) ISPConfig 3 is not a update for ISPConfig 2, its a different software. So it has other features then ispconfig 2 and not nescessarily all functions like the user login that ispconfig 2 has.
    3) For years. ISPConfig 2 and 3 are different software projects and will be developed independantly. See also 2).

3. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

yes, I know its not upgradable and different.
    I just thought 3 would be more "modern" than 2.

Is there a comparison matrix somewhere? Anyone knows the differences?

I mean maybe I don't need the 3 version but how would I know ;-)

4. Jorem

Jorem Member

You can download a vmware image to test ISPConfig 3 and check out the differences.

If you have a lot of websites on it I would stick with 2 and wait till there will be an update from 2 to 3. Just to save you a lot of time trying to get everything to work :).
    If you have a few websites just setup the new system and copy site by site by making new sites/settings in 3. Only takes some work changing path and database differences.

5. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

all I found so far is that ispcfg3 has support for php as fastcgi but I thought that worked with ispcfg2 as well...

6. robilaur

robilaur New Member

Well in my opinion isp3 is better than isp2 because its support virtual users , its more dynamic, low resorces , and it uses mysql for all witch it makes it faster. The transition is prety easy... just copy the sites as Jerom sayd

7. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

so basically, set up the new server, set up ispcfg, email, apache, mysql configs, etc, then create a new site in ispcfg3 set it up, change the DNS settigns of this site, wait 24h then move all data/DBs and check for references to the old IP and the old database, right?

any other steps I might have forgotten?

8. till

Yes, that should work.

9. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

Perfect :) just moved the first testsite and everything went perfect!

One more related question: I am going to move some domains with loads of emails next, so I was wondering where the Mailfolders are lovated now and where are the user folders located? Is the mail format the same? can I just copy the users mail folders so they don't lose old emails?

Anythign else to take care of when moving users with email?

10. yap

yap New Member

Hi Tenaka,

I just had the same problem with email. I just copied the files located in /var/www/webXYZ/user/webname/Maildir/cur/ from ISPConfig 2 to the new folder in ISPConfig 3: /var/vmail/webname/mailname/cur and it worked for me. :)

11. till

Copying over the files should work as long as you use also Maildir on ispconfig 2. Please dont vorget to change the owner of the files to the user "vmail" after you copied them.

12. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

worked perfectly too :) all email accounts have been successfully moved now :)