Symlink 'clients' to a mounted volume

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by wwweiss, Nov 16, 2020.

1. wwweiss

wwweiss Member HowtoForge Supporter

I have a typical install of ISPConfig on Ubuntu 20.04. It is a cloud server with limited diskspace. But I can add "volumes" which I can increase up to 10 TB. I had one Website running before I added the volume. So I had /var/www/clients/client1/web1 for the website.
    The volume is mounted to /mnt/my_space
    I copied /var/www/clients to /mnt/my_space/clients (with rsync -a), renamed the original /var/www/clients to ....clients_orig and set a symlink "clients" pointing to the /mnt/my_space/clients. Everything was done while apache was stopped.
    The existing website is running with no problems, but if I create a new website in ISPConfig, the folder /var/www/client1/web3 is not created.
    cron.log shows:
    Can you tell me, if using a symlink is not possible in this constellation? How can I get this working, so that all client-data are placed on the volume?

2. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell Well-Known Member Staff Member Howtoforge Staff

You could just mount your extra volume right at /var/www, or if you like it where it is, use a bind mount instead of a symlink to have the files accessible.

ahrasis and wwweiss like this.
  3. wwweiss

wwweiss Member HowtoForge Supporter

Thank you very much. "bind mount" was the solution. Everything is working now.
    I added an entry to fstab with same parameters like ispconfig adds the bind mounts for the log directories.
    Great support :)

Th0m likes this.