The ISPConfig installation manual does not work

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by martinhe, Mar 7, 2023.

Tags:
  1. martinhe

martinhe Member

I install ISpconfig on Almalinux 8 according to the instructions for CentOS 8 according to the instructions: https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial...stfix-dovecot-and-ispconfig/#-install-jailkit

The problem is that the jailkit download link doesn't work: http://olivier.sessink.nl/jailkit/jailkit-2.21.tar.gz

It's not even in any trusted repository for EL8. So I'm wondering, can I just ignore the jailkit installation? For shell users, I do not set ssh chroot anyway and leave the default value "none". Is that jailkit used anywhere else? According to the manual, it is used in CRON tasks, but how, in what cases?

Maybe it's just a temporary resource outage, but even so, I've never been comfortable with downloading something like this from a developer's URL and compiling it myself without it being guaranteed by Red Hat in the official repository.

Is there another REASONABLE way to install it? Isn't it some retro, potentially dangerous patchwork like the 20-year-old, possibly defunct mod_python, which is probably still in the ISPConfig manual today?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

There is no installation tutorial for ISPConfig on AlmaLinux at all, and AlmaLinux is not even supported or recognized as OS by ISPConfig. So your claim that the AlmaLinux installation manual for ISPConfig does not work is wrong. Such a manual does not exist, as ISPConfig does not support AlmaLinux. And even then, your problem is not that the installation instructions are wrong. It's just that a system the instructions refer to is temporarily down, as it seems.

Things like that a software vendor's server might be temporarily down can always happen.

It is used for cronjobs and shell users. If you don't care about having secure cronjob and shell accounts, you can leave it out.

Then send your complaints to RedHat that they do not provide packages for jailkit. Btw. What do you think Redhat is doing when they build a package? They download the source code of that software from the systems of the software developer, exactly as we do when we compile it.

If you don't like it, then don't use it. It's as simple as that.

ahrasis and Th0m like this.
  3. martinhe

martinhe Member

4. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer