The Perdect server, Help please

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by nightfire, Jun 11, 2008.

1. nightfire

nightfire New Member

The Perfect server, Help please

Let mestart off by telling you what I have. I'm using RoadRunner as ISP and A Belkin Router. Now my ?'s are in the first part of the setup.

Now Would I use the IP Address My Router would supply or The IP That My Roadrunner has?

Same here, Is my host name is anything I want to give it? What about the gateway and the DNS numbers? Is ones I make up or the ones that are assign to my modem?

Sorry fo dumbness on this but if I dont ask I won't know.
    Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2008
  2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

In your case it's a local, unused IP address from your LAN. What's your router's local IP address?

The gateway is your router's local IP address. For the nameservers, you can use the ones provided by your ISP, or use the ones from the tutorial.
    You can make up a hostname, but it would be good if it really exists (create an A record for it).

3. nightfire

nightfire New Member

postfix ?

OK, here is what I think to be my last question (I hope). On postfix there are two things that keep throwing me off. Myhostname and Mydomain name.
    In CLI I do
    Code:
    hostname
    that comes up linux.dyndns.info. This is my website address also.
    Is this what I would put in as myhostname?
    I'm using dyndns

Now what would I use as mydomain name?

Thanks in advance

4. falko

You can use the same value for mydomain as well. You could even type
    mydomain = $myhostname

5. nightfire

nightfire New Member

email setup

Would I be able to use like thunderbird to get my nail from outside my local network? If so, how? What would I use as an E-mail addrress, incoming and outgoing mail servers?
    I am useing dyndns the free vresion if that matters.

6. falko

Yes.

Tell your router to forward the ports 25 (SMTP), 110 (POP3), and 143 (IMAP) to your server.

What would I use as an E-mail addrress,[/QUOTE]That depends on what you've set up as your email address. ;)

incoming and outgoing mail servers?
    I am useing dyndns the free vresion if that matters.[/QUOTE]You can use any public IP address/hostname (e.g. your DynDNS hostname) that is pointing to your server.

Please note that sending might not be possible from your server if you are on a dynamic IP address as most dynamic IP addresses are blacklisted.