the perfect mandriva desktop

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by Mr Pockets151, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Mr Pockets151

Mr Pockets151 New Member

I have only one question. Quoting from the tutorial...what exactly does this mean
    ? Does this mean when I enter the package name amarok I would type amarok* then select everything that says amarok?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2008
  2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

No, this means that if you search for amarok and see packages like amarok, amarok-bla, amarok-foo in the results, select all of them.

3. Mr Pockets151

Mr Pockets151 New Member

Duh:rolleyes:. Thanks that makes more sense.
    Another thing, I have the Mandriva 2009.0 ONE CD and I was only able to install the KDE version. I don't see the option to install GNOME environment. I DL'd the GNOME iso link on the tutorial page, but that cd gives me an error of "kernel panic" unable to mount. Then my ps/2 keyboard freezes up and starts flashing the caps and scroll lock leds- halting the boot cd. This happens after the splash screen and after loading some modules

I'm trying to get rid of KDE 4. I really just want to install GNOME then KDE 3. Haven't tried MDV GNOME yet.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2008
  4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

I guess you've downloaded the KDE version of MAndriva One. Mandriva releases two One versions, one for KDE and one for GNOME.

If the GNOME version doesn't work for you, you can try the full Mandriva 2009.0 Free DVD and select GNOME during the installation.