the perfect server, also with ubuntu 22.04?

Discussion in 'General' started by janvl, Jul 22, 2022.

1. janvl

janvl Member

Hi,
    i installed "the perfect server" with ispconfig on ubuntu 20.04 LTS, it is running perfect.
    I wonder if the same can be done on ubuntu 22.04 LTS.
    Are there any special settings that are different?

I would be gratefull for any comment before i start.

Regards,
    Jan

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Ubuntu comes with PHP 8.1 and ISPConfig is not fully working on ISPConfig 8.1 yet, that's why there is no such guide yet and it's highly recommended to wait to try to install ISPConfig on Ubuntu 22.04 until ISPConfig supports it and we provide an install guide for it.

It's probably possible to install ISPConfig on Ubuntu 22.04 already by tweaking some things and using PHP 7.4 as default, but I don't recommend doing that as your setup might then become incompatible as soon as we release an ISPConfig version with Ubuntu 22.04 support builtin.

ahrasis likes this.
  3. janvl

janvl Member

Thank you very much Till,

I will stick to 20.04 then.

Regards,
    Jan

4. lnxgs

lnxgs Member

Hello,
    Is there a date planned when it will be possible to use ISPCONFIG 3 with a version of PHP 8 (or 8.1)? An approximate date could be fine too. thank you

5. till

We work on it and we will release it when it's ready, but it's not ready yet :)

celocore likes this.
  6. Milosh

Milosh New Member

Hi Till, any good news how close is support of php8.1 for ISPConfig:rolleyes:?

7. till

It is already working but needs some more testing. And it still spits out a lot of warnings in the logs, we will have to switch off warnings until we fix all of them not to clutter the logs. the reason is that PHP now issues a warning instead of a notice if a field in an array is not set, but ispconfig uses many optional fields in arrays, which now produce warnings when not set. The code is in this branch at the moment:

https://git.ispconfig.org/ispconfig/ispconfig3/-/tree/6328-support-php-8-x

I will release a guide on installing that test version in the next few days.

dmgeurts, Th0m, ahrasis and 1 other person like this.
  8. Andreas G.

Andreas G. New Member

Hi.
    Did you allready release th new guide? I can see that it's allready merged with the development branch with many other branches about 1 week ago. Are we allready close to 3.2.9?

9. till

No. I was not able to work as much on the project as I thought I could.

It has not been merged yet:

https://git.ispconfig.org/ispconfig/ispconfig3/-/merge_requests/1602

But I plan to merge it to develop soon, just some last test setup pending to verify a few more things. This will also make installation easier.

Yes.

bvo007 likes this.
  10. Quercus

Quercus New Member

Is there any estimate on the availability ? - a week - a month - several months ?

11. till

There will be the first beta of 3.2.9 in the next few days.

nhybgtvfr, ahrasis and Quercus like this.
  12. bice

bice New Member

Hi Till, and ISPC lovers who might want to build the perfect server / or to upgrade it to Ubuntu 22.04 LTS,
    Just to let you know that if you're using Mailman on ISPC please do note that Mailman3 is currently no longer part of Ubuntu 22.04 packages repo.
    The Mailman3 package has been temporary removed due to incompatibilities with newer dependencies.
    More infos here : h t t p s://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2022-March/041927.html
    It seems it could take a while to get the package back on the rep :-/
    Regards,
    Fabrice

13. till

ISPConfig won't work with mailman3 anyway, it is very different from Mailman 2 and we would have to reimplement mailman support from scratch again to support it. Therefore, mailman is not supported on Ubuntu 22.04. Maybe someone volunteers to write a new mailman 3 plugin for ISPConfig in the future, but until then, there will be no mailman support anymore.

14. till

Evan Connolly and ahrasis like this.
  15. Spaetzle

Spaetzle Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi
    I want to update my multi server environment from Ubuntu 20.04 to 22.04 this days.
    The servers were set up with the perfect server setup guid for 20.04. I could only find the guid for 20.04 but not for 22.
    Are there some hints on what needs to be adjusted when upgrading?

My plan was to do the following steps:
    - Upgrade OS, starting with the master
    - install new packages if needed (a list of needed packages would be nice)
    - ispconfig_update.sh --force
    - check php settings in server configurations

Regards
    Bernd

16. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

17. till

Most of what you have to install is PHP 8.1 packages, so you take the apt install command from the Ubuntu 20.04 guide that installs PHP packages and replace the 7.4 with 8.1 where it occurs. I don't think migration is necessary, and I guess it would be a lot more complicated for a multiserver system, so I would just update it.

18. Spaetzle

Hi
    Thanks for your replies I will have a look at the discussion and give it a try.
    Regards
    Bernd

19. Spaetzle

Hi
    I started the adventure of updateing the servers. So far it looks promissing. All services,but ispconfig, are running as it seems.
    The panel did not com up after upgrading. So I did an update of the panel on the Mainserver:
    Code:
    ispconfig_update.sh --force
    Towards the end, after asking for the recreation of the certificates an Depracation message is shown:
    Code:
    PHP Deprecated:  explode(): Passing null to parameter #2 ($string) of type string is deprecated in /tmp/update_runner.sh.mogwCsFTFU/install/lib/installer_base.lib.php on line 55
    Reconfigure Crontab? (yes,no) [yes]: yes
    When restarting the services an error is thrown when restarting apache:

Code:
    Restarting services ...
    Job for apache2.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
    See "systemctl status apache2.service" and "journalctl -xeu apache2.service" for details.
    Update finished.
    root@panel2:~# systemctl status apache2.service
    × apache2.service - The Apache HTTP Server
         Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/apache2.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
         Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Thu 2022-12-29 09:23:00 CET; 18s ago
           Docs: https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/
        Process: 1409 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/apachectl start (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
            CPU: 23ms

Dec 29 09:23:00 panel2 systemd[1]: Starting The Apache HTTP Server...
    Dec 29 09:23:00 panel2 apachectl[1415]: apache2: Syntax error on line 146 of /etc/apache2/apache2.conf: Syntax error on>
    Dec 29 09:23:00 panel2 apachectl[1409]: Action 'start' failed.
    Dec 29 09:23:00 panel2 apachectl[1409]: The Apache error log may have more information.
    Dec 29 09:23:00 panel2 systemd[1]: apache2.service: Control process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
    Dec 29 09:23:00 panel2 systemd[1]: apache2.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
    Dec 29 09:23:00 panel2 systemd[1]: Failed to start The Apache HTTP Server.
    I am looking into this. Does anybody have an idea? In line 146 of the apache conf the mods-enabled/*.load are loaded
    The problem seems to be with autoindex.load.

Regards
    Bernd

20. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter