The Perfect Server - CentOS 6.0 x86_64 [ISPConfig 3]

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by bogd4n, Jan 10, 2014.

1. bogd4n

bogd4n New Member

Hi there,

I installed ISConfig3 following instructions from this HOWTO and I have a few questions for you guys. Please note that I'm a total beginner and though answers might seem obvious for you - for me they're not so that's why I decided to start a thread. Here's the link.

http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-server-centos-6.0-x86_64-ispconfig-3

First does FQDN of the server has to resolvable on the Internet or I can use something like server.privatedomain.local as it is going to host virtual domains.

Second, where does postfix store emails and user files? Can I explicitly define the mailbox type and location of mailboxes without affecting the ISPConfig?

Thanks alot!

B

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

the fqdn has to resolve on the internet, if you want to use your server for email.

/var/vmail/

No.

3. bogd4n

bogd4n New Member

That was a really quick reply :) Thank you. So, I'm stuck with mbox then... Are there any alternative solutions (speaking of ISPConfig-Postfix) that you know of?

edit: it's actually mdir, I should have taken a look first before hitting reply. :S

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  4. bogd4n

bogd4n New Member

Err, I have one more question that I forgot to ask. Can I still manually change postfix settings in /etc/postfix/main.cf if necessary and if no, where should I change them?

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Settings that were not configured by ispconfig can be changed in postfix main.cf

6. bogd4n

bogd4n New Member

Thanks again Till.

Can you please advise if it is ok to host email domains with the same name of ISPConfig3 server's domain (for example if address of my server is server1.example.com, can I create email domain for the same domain or there will be some complications)? Also it seems that system log in ISPConfig's not showing any logs so where would be the best place to start troubleshooting?