The Perfect Server - Debian Lenny (Debian 5.0) [ISPConfig 3]

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by husskii, Dec 30, 2009.

1. husskii

husskii Member

HI I just completed the tutorial of the The Perfect Server - Debian Lenny (Debian 5.0) [ISPConfig 3]

and as I always use the howtoforge tutorial with great success this time Im afraid something went wrong somewhere.

I have a 3 problems which I encountered and dnt know how to reslove. Im hoping someone could please assist me with these issues.

my first problem is that with squirrelmail when I try to login it will not except my user or pass as one of them is wrong. Im hoping its just me being a noob and that there is a defualt user/pass which i dnt know. at the moment I have tried my servers root user and pass, also tried my sql user and pass and my normal user and pass, and all three were unsuccessful, am I just totally way off if so, what should I be using for my first login?

I alos encountered a problem whilst trying to openbsb-inetd, I ran the command
    Code:
    /etc/init.d/openbsd-inetd restart
    I recieved the following error,
    Code:
    restarting internet superserver: inetdNot starting internet supervisor: no serice enable
    [​IMG]

and I also had a problem running
    Code:
    quotacheck -avugm
    where I recieved an error of
    Code:
    quotacheck: you kernel probably supports journaled quota but you are not using it, consider switching to journaled quota to avoid running quotacheck after an unclean shutdown.
    quotacheck: warning - quotafile //quota.user was probably truncated, cannot save quota settings....
    quotacheck: warning - quotafile //quota.group was probably truncated, cannot save quota settings....
    quotacheck scanning: /dev/hdb1 [/] done
    quoatcheck checked 3679 directories and 35420 files
    then the command [ode]quotaon -avug
    /dev/hdb1 [/]: group quotas turned on
    /dev/hdb1 [/]: user quotas turned on$[/code]

so Im not sure if its all ok or If I still need to do anything to fix
    Code:
    quotacheck -avugm
    [​IMG]

Also following the tutorial word for word I installed pureftpd but when trying to connect with filezilla to my actuall server
    the login root is accepted but my pass again is wrong and fails to authenticate. isnt it like proftpd where I use the same credentials
    that I use on the server?

Help would be greatly appreciated as Im new to linux and am trying to get my server setup so I may get my website started.
    Thank you in advance :)

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  2. husskii

husskii Member

Hi Im also having trouble logging into squirrelmail, the error I get is
    ERROR: Connection dropped by IMAP server.

I found another post in another forum saying to run this command as there is no automatic creation of your maildir UNTIL you send the new account an email. the Once you send the email, everything should work just fine.

so I tried running the command
    Code:
    mutt -f imap://localhost/
    and it took me to a login screen which I then tried to login as root as it wouldnt except the other user account since it hasnt been created with squirrelmail.
    anyways long story short again it will not even recognise my passwd in putty after running that command, so I have no clue on how to login so I can continue to setup..

pls help would be greatly appreciated...

3. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

The username is the email address in this case as ISPConfig 3 configures virtual email users.

That's normal - it just means that there's no service left that should be controlled by inetd.

That's also normal when you configure quota for the first time.

You must use the username that you configured in ISPConfig 3.

4. husskii

husskii Member

hi falko thanks for getting back to me, I tried setting up an email user in ispconfig but still had problems loging in, other then I managed to get elgg installed but I couldn't get Elgg database setup. I hoping to get Elgg database was installed successfully, but that wouldnt work either. I just received the blue page saying it was unsuccessful or something. I also tried browsing my url remotely from a server not on my network and it would just time out, I thought maybe it was because I used my local ip instead of my router IP, (so stupid I am because Ive already tried this beofre and it stuffed up) but yea I then tried changing
    Code:
    vi /etc/network/interfaces
    and then ran
    Code:
    /etc/init.d/networking restart
    also changed
    Code:
    vi /etc/hosts
    and then ran
    Code:
    echo server1.example.com > /etc/hostname
    /etc/init.d/hostname.sh start
    hostname
    hostname -f
    but now I cant even get to the main page of elgg , ispconfig or squirrel.

I think it has something to do with my apache2 vhost not restarting, Ive tried rebooting the whole server and Ive also tried restarting apache2 and on both occasions I get the following error.
    Code:
    Restarting web server: apache2apache2: Syntax error on line 281 of /etc/apache2/apache2.conf: Syntax error on line 46 of /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/seedmachines.com.vhost: Expected </VirtualHost> but saw </Directory>
     failed!
    mate if u know were Ive stuffed up that would really be great if u could assist me, I have already attempted this setup more then 10x and cant seem to get elgg working properly, I even edited the setting.php files manually but am still messing up, more importantly atm I cant even get ispconfig to lead, which im sure is because of apache2 failing.

btw Im using ispconfig-3.0.1.6 and jailkit-2.10, only because I could get the versions in the tutorial to work, when trying to install them I recieved errors so I had changed to the latest version I could find...

Thanks in advance
    Husskii

btw Im not too sure this setup is what I need and am hoping u can advise me what to use. Im trying to build a simple website with a ticket system were my customers can come and view products & make orders from the site. I have a registered domain & now I just need the right setup. the main reason why I chose this setup of ur The Perfect Server - Debian Lenny (Debian 5.0) [ISPConfig 3] setup over ur lamp setup was because I eventually want to start a support forum to go with the site and the fact that I can have web applications to setup the site. ideally what I would like to have is something similar to what hosting sites offer, where u buy a hosting plan and can install apps such as wordpress drupal etc as Ive only been using linux for about 6months now and still have a lot to learn. :)

I dnt think I need mydns as I have dns setup with the ppls i registered my domain with and apparent I have a customer email with the package too, but I dnt min spirell as i think it gives me more control instead of getting all my mail forwarded from w/e email i have registered with my domain registar

Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  5. husskii

husskii Member

Hi guys sorry I know Ive been asking alot of questions over the last few days, but hopefully Im almost done.

Ive decieded to go with ispconfig 2, because of the freedom of the 3party software that can be installed on it.

The only problem with ispconfig 2 is that I can only find the manual on the ispconfig site, which is a little hard to follow, & Im hoping someone might know of a more detailed tutorial for ispconfig 2, something similar to the tutorial in "" The Perfect Server - Debian Lenny (Debian 5.0) [ISPConfig 3]""
    or if it was possible to follow the steps for ispconfig in "" The Perfect Server - Debian Lenny (Debian 5.0) [ISPConfig 3]"" just replacing ver 3 for ver 2

thanks again for the help, it more then appreciated....:eek:

6. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff