The Perfect Server - Ubuntu (What is my hostname?)

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by Leow, May 9, 2009.

1. Leow

Leow New Member

Greetings,

I just want to know if we can put anything as our hostname? or do I need to purchase a domain name first? if, for EXAMPLE I have a domain as www.leow747.com then I will need to put something as servername.leow747.com?

Thank you.

Last edited: May 9, 2009
  2. hazard1nc

hazard1nc New Member

I did the ubuntu install as well. The only thing I had to do differently was use 1 name and not the whole name.

Yes, you can use a made up name, make sure any routers that you use are using dns relay so that you do not get some bill collectors at your door for it ( just joking..) anyway, you can put what ever you want for a name.

I used: "Server" and nothing more for mine, it worked great! But, you may want to get a domain if your running this type of server in general, it was designed to control a domain much like an ISP's setup.

3. Leow

Leow New Member

Thank you, hazard1nc. Is that meaning that if I plan to install ISPConfig, then I will need a domain name?

4. hazard1nc

hazard1nc New Member

it mean's that it would be good, but its nothing you have to do. I found that 1and1.com are offering $0.99 yearly biz domains ($6.00 with some tax and additions here and there).

Seriously though, you don't need to have a domain to run the system, I am pretty sure that if you really wanted to, you could use a dynamic domain for it, but you'd have to chop at MyDNS's Expert configurations to get it working right.

If your not using it to send email to your friends down the way from you, it would not work unless your sharing a connection together. mail servers talk together and require an MX Record from a domain, most times thats not possible without registering a domain.

I really don't know how to be much more help with this, so I hope this helped :)