The Perfect Setup - Debian Sarge (3.1)

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by Praude, Mar 4, 2006.

1. Praude

Praude New Member

Debian did'nt recognize or configured the ethernet card, Setup wasnt able to configure IP through DHCP and even a Manual configuration of IP, netmask, gateway and DNS didn't work.
    This is the first time I try Debian, I have experience with Conectiva, Mandrake and Suse, so I have no clue were to configure the network card in debian.
    the card is Gigabit card on a Asus motherboard I'll check to see exactaly what it is.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2006
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Have you entered "linux26" at the bootloader prompt when you started the installation to use the 2.6 kernel instead of the default 2.4 kernel?

Try to run the debian installer in expert mode, you can chose that at the initial boot prompt. Then you will be able to configure your network card in detail during installation. The command for expert mode togeteher with 2.6 kernel is "expert26" if i remember correctly.

You can see all available options of the bootloader when you hit the F1 - Fx buttons of your keyboard.

3. Praude

Praude New Member

I did that.
    I'll try this... thanks for the help

4. Praude

Praude New Member

installation in expert26 mode saYS:
    cound't load some unavaible modules:
    sk98lin(yukon gigabit ethernet 10/100/1000 adapter, ide-mod, ide-probe-mod, ide-detect.

5. Praude

Praude New Member

6. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Is it working for you?

7. Praude

Praude New Member

I will try it on monday.
    I found many posts saying that the sk98lin drive that comes with debian 3.1 netinstall isn't good.