The Perfect Setup - Debian Woody (3.0)... sending mail from my XP box?

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by ExCIA, May 7, 2005.

1. ExCIA

ExCIA New Member

BTW... this is one of the best HOWTOs website I've ever come across. Two thumbs up. :)

Anyway, I have completed the 'The Perfect Setup - Debian Woody' and what do I need to do in order to send mails from my XP machines (outlook) to my Debian server and let the Debian server deliver the mail to my ISP?

I have three XP machines in the network and the forth one is the Debian server (192.168.0.3). All is connected through a router (broadband).

My ISP's (NTLWorld) smtp/pop3 servers are:

smtp.ntlworld.com
    pop.ntlworld.com

To send mail I have to use SMTP authentication.

For example, if my email address is [email protected] does that means I have to create an account on the Debian server as john.doe?

Last edited: May 7, 2005
  2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

No, the user name doesn't matter, you could create a user named sampleuser with the password samplepassword.

Now you have to prepare Postfix for relaying through another server:

Code:
    postconf -e 'smtp_sasl_auth_enable = yes'
    postconf -e 'smtp_sasl_password_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/sasl_passwd'
    postconf -e 'smtp_sasl_security_options ='

chown root:root /etc/postfix/sasl_passwd
    chmod 600 /etc/postfix/sasl_passwd
    postmap /etc/postfix/sasl_passwd
    /etc/init.d/postfix restart
    In /etc/postfix/sasl_passwd you put your ISP's SMTP server and a user name and password that are allowed to send through that server:

Code:
    smtp.ntlworld.com   [I]Username on smtp.ntlworld.com[/I]:[I]Password[/I]
    Whenever you change /etc/postfix/sasl_passwd you have to do the following:
    Code:
    postmap /etc/postfix/sasl_passwd
    /etc/init.d/postfix restart
    Now if you want to send email from your XP machine you tell your email client to use the user sampleuser with the password samplepassword along with your internal SMTP server (192.168.0.3).
    And fetching emails doesn't change: you simply fetch them from your ISP's POP3 server (pop.ntlworld.com).

3. ExCIA

ExCIA New Member

What is the difference between doing what you suggest and simply add an ISP's smtp server address in the 'relayhost =' in the /etc/postfix/main.cf file?

Good thing you mentioned /etc/postfix/sasl_passwd because mine doesn't exist, which I find that pretty strange?

Last edited: May 8, 2005
  4. falko

Right, I forgot that one... :eek: You have to set the relayhost variable in /etc/postfix/main.cf:

Code:
    postconf -e 'relayhost = smtp.ntlworld.com'
    And don't forget to restart Postfix afterwards.

5. 3cwired_com

3cwired_com New Member

What if I don't have a password for my isp smtp, what if I just use the address?

6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

If you dont have a password, just add the relayhosts line in main.cf

7. fredsuperstar

fredsuperstar New Member

Great! I've been looking everywhere for this workaround!

I did every step, and I added relay = [smtph.sympatio.ca] to my .conf. However, postfix is still unable to send mail because of a 550 error. Here is my log:

Oct 5 13:18:08 localhost postfix/smtp[28537]: setting up TLS connection to smtp.bc.hotmail.com
    Oct 5 13:18:08 localhost postfix/smtp[28537]: certificate peer name verification failed for smtp.bc.hotmail.com: CommonName mis-match: smtphm.sympatico.ca
    Oct 5 13:18:08 localhost postfix/smtp[28537]: Verified: subject_CN=smtphm.sympatico.ca, issuer=Entrust.net Secure Server Certification Authority
    Oct 5 13:18:08 localhost postfix/smtp[28537]: TLS connection established to smtp.bc.hotmail.com: TLSv1 with cipher RC4-MD5 (128/128 bits)
    Oct 5 13:18:08 localhost postfix/smtp[28537]: 71CCB13413B: to=<[email protected]>, relay=smtp.bc.hotmail.com[65.54.191.190], delay=1, status=bounced (host smtp.bc.hotmail.com[65.54.191.190] said: 550 5.7.3 Requested action aborted; user not authenticated (in reply to MAIL FROM command)

Seems like the auth don't work..
    Any i-d what I could do next?

--

Last edited: Oct 5, 2006
  8. falko

9. jwan

jwan New Member

10. falko

11. jwan

jwan New Member

sender_dependent_relayhost_maps

hi...

any "actual" example would be useful. I'm a newbie on this and only follows example line by line.

thanks.

12. falko

What's your Postfix version? Please run
    Code:
    postconf -d | grep mail_version

13. jwan

jwan New Member

mail_version = 2.2.10

hope that helps.

Jojo W.

14. falko

Then you can't use that parameter as it's for Postfix 2.3 or newer.

15. jwan

jwan New Member

Darn! missed your previous note. I got this Postfix by following the perfect setup for ubuntu 6.06. Went to postfix website, downloaded 2.3.x but dont know how to upgrade..arrg! :confused:

16. falko

It's a bad idea to compile Postfix from the sources when you already have your distribution's package installed. I wouldn't do it.

17. BratmaxeSL82

BratmaxeSL82 New Member

how does it work!????

It would be cool if you can give me an example

I got Postfix version 2.3.2 running!

18. falko

What? Installing the package or compiling from source?