The Perfect Setup - Suse 9.3

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Dr D With a PHD, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Dr D With a PHD

Dr D With a PHD New Member

Have a few questions: :confused:

1. when i do an apt-get update
    I get the following error :
    Err ftp://ftp.gwdg.de SuSE/9.3-i386/security pkglist
    Unable to fetch file, server said '/pub/linux/SuSE/apt/SuSE/9.3-i386/base/pkglist.security.bz2: No such file or directory.
    Failed to fetch ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/SuSE/apt/SuSE/9.3-i386/base/pkglist.security Unable to fetch file, server said '/pub/linux/SuSE/apt/SuSE/9.3-i386/base/pkglist.security.bz2: No such file or directory. '

2. quotacheck -avugm:
    quotaon: using //aquota.group on /dev/hda3 [/]: No such process
    quotaon: Quota format not supported in kernel.
    quotaon: using //aquota.user on /dev/hda3 [/]: No such process
    quotaon: Quota format not supported in kernel.

Please help......... :(

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

What's in /etc/apt/sources.list? It should be
    Code:
    rpm ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/suse/apt/ SuSE/9.3-i386 base update security
    You don't have quota compiled into your kernel. You might try to load the quota module (if it's available):
    Code:
    modprobe quota_v1
    modprobe quota_v2
    (if you're successful, insert these two lines into /etc/modules so that the modules are loaded each time you boot your system).
    If this doesn't work, then you have to compile a new kernel... :(

3. Dr D With a PHD

Dr D With a PHD New Member

k check the sources.list and this is what is found in the file:
    rpm ftp://mirrors.mathematik.uni-bielefeld.de/pub/linux/suse/apt/ SuSE/9.3-i386 update securit
    rpm ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/SuSE/apt/ SuSE/9.3-i386 update security rpmkeys

then i check in the software installed and found quota installed. The funny thing is the following works ok

Made mistake in my post its not
    quotacheck -avugm (run ok)

but quotaon gives me those error reported earlier.

4. Bedevere

Bedevere New Member

Along these lines I don't have a /home entry in my /etc/fstab...

Using SuSE 9.2 - and I have forgotten everything I used to know about these files...should I add one?

5. falko

Then you don't have a partition for /home. Maybe you have a large / partition?
    Don't change /etc/fstab! :eek:

6. Bedevere

Bedevere New Member

I am using a dual hd system...my main drive is a 60 gig drive which I made one single partition (ie my / ) and I added a 200 gig as my /data/ path. (gotta love the fact that a 1.2 Ghz processor with 512 megs of ram can be such a workhorse under linux)

the 200 gig drive holds my srv as well (i.e /data/srv). While I doubt we are going to cram the drive full, I wouldn't mind being able to set up some liits as to what each site could eat up.

Should I add the aquota lines to those fstab entries or just forget quotas for now? It isn't huge since I am only hosting 3 or 4 domains for me and a friend.

7. falko

You have to create the aquota.* files on /data then and add ,usrquota,grpquota to the line for the /data partition in /etc/fstab.

8. Bedevere

Bedevere New Member

Thanks!

You guys are pretty helpful!