The Perfect Setup - Ubuntu 6.10 Server (Edgy Eft) - connection timeouts

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by thegestetner, Dec 12, 2006.

1. thegestetner

thegestetner New Member

Hi all,

I've followed this tutorial practically to the letter - kudos to the author, it's got me farther than anything else on the interwebs.

Anticipating that I would end up on blacklists because of the newness of my domain, I registered for a backup MX server. However, I've sent several test messages to my server, and they have yet to get through, from either one of the servers. My ISP said that they don't block any ports, so I'm sure that's not an issue. I can also ping both of these servers without problems. When I tail /var/log/mail.log, this is what keeps coming up:

Dec 12 02:22:46 unendurable postfix/qmgr[16876]: 3689D2ECD8: from=<[email protected]>, size=618, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
    Dec 12 02:23:16 unendurable postfix/smtp[17778]: connect to mail.rollernet.us[208.11.75.2]: Connection timed out (port 25)
    Dec 12 02:23:16 unendurable postfix/smtp[17778]: 3689D2ECD8: to=<[email protected]>, relay=none, delay=188209, delays=188179/0.02/30/0, dsn=4.4.1, status=deferred (connect to mail.rollernet.us[208.11.75.2]: Connection timed out)

There's no firewall or anything on the server itself; the router does that, and I've checked its settings a million times over.
    Any ideas, anyone?
    Thanks.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Is mail.rollernet.us the server you want to relay trough? Can you connect to mail.rollernet.us eith thr command:

telnet mail.rollernet.us 25

After you have established the connection to your postfix mail server type

ehlo localhost

then type:

quit

to close the connection.

3. thegestetner

thegestetner New Member

Hmm, that's strange - doesn't seem to want to work either. Looks like I found the problem, but I can't figure out why it exists.

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff