" The system is currently updating the configuration files." for over an hour

Discussion in 'General' started by catdude, Aug 29, 2007.

1. catdude

catdude New Member

I've currently got a couple dozen users on ISPConfig 2.2.13. I've got web pages up and mailboxes working.

Early this morning one of my coworkers deleted a CNAME record from one of the domains we're just now setting up. He e-mailed me about an hour later reporting that when he attempted to view the Recycle Bin he was getting the "The system is currently updating the configuration files" message for over an hour.

Just now I was having problems changing email passwords for another domain I was entering. I deleted the domain at 14:35. The above error message finally stopped appearing just now - 15:03. Is it believable that ISPConfig could be rewriting files for nearly 30 minutes? Is there anything I can do to speed this up?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Normally not. On a system with about 200 websites it takes around 40 - 80 seconds. You can check this easily, just have a look at the logfile /home/admispconfig/ispconfig/ispconfig.log

3. catdude

catdude New Member

Whoa, we got big problems here!

I found the problem - the RAID5 drives that host / and /var are sick. I've mostly got our backup server running, but it's /etc/passwd file is not current. Would using the trick you mentioned previously ("update isp_isp_web set status = 'u' where status = ''; followed by a change of a value) cause ISPConfig to rewrite /etc/passwd with all of ISPConfig's user logins?

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Updating the passwd file from the sql database will not work, because the passwords are not stored in the sql db for security resaons, they are only stored in /etc/passwd.

But if you have copies from the /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow, /etc/group, /etc/gshadow files from the original server, you can just copy the lines with the users created by ISPConfig to the new server. Then run pwck and grpck to make sure that the syntax of the files you changed manually is correct.

5. catdude

catdude New Member

No such luck

When the hard drive in the original server went, it toasted the /etc directory. I have passwd entries current as of a week ago in a test server, so all is not lost. I will just re-enter those that I lost. Not too bad a task.

6. catdude

catdude New Member

Possibly last problem...

Here's what I think is my last problem. Mail log is showed "relay denied" errors when mail comes in for client domains. Makes me think that the postfix config files are wrong. Any way to get ISPConfig to spit out the correct versions?

7. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

What's in /etc/postfix/main.cf?